1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Countdown

Discussion in 'Behaviour' started by Greyfalcon1, Feb 13, 2018.

1. Greyfalcon1

Greyfalcon1 New commenter

Hey,

What strategies do others use when a countdown dosent work and pupils continue to talk?

Thanks
    Grey

2. altally

altally New commenter

Make it clear what will happen if they aren’t ready, e.g. loss of golden time. Give points/praise to those who are ready. If it happens regularly with certain children, they will need their own strategies.

pepper5 likes this.
  3. gravell

gravell New commenter

Start quietly and calmly writing names or time on the board

4. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

Make sure the countdown is long enough for them to finish what they were doing/saying.

I used to work with someone who would simply say "321 stop talking! Why are you still talking, I've said to stop. You are all staying in at break," All within about 3 seconds. Pupils were just finishing off what they were saying and not meaning to be defiant.

I tend to say something like "In 5 seconds everyone will have finished their talking. (Pause and look about to make sure a fair number heard) In 4 seconds everyone will be quiet. (Pause and make sure a fair few are getting ready to finish) In 3 seconds it will be silent in here. (Pause, by now many will be finished) In 2 seconds everyone will be looking this way. (Pause while half the class shuffle about) In 1 second everyone will be listening. (Pause and glare at those still talking) And now we are all silent and looking this way, well done and thank you."

This takes about 10 -30 seconds in reality, depending on what was going on before I needed quiet, but means there is plenty of time for groups to finish off and be ready.

If that still doesn't work, and it will for the vast majority, then silently writing names on a postit freaks them out. Especially if you wander over to a chatty one's table and flick to the cover of their book with the comment you are just checking how to spell their name.

pepper5 likes this.
  5. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

Excellent tips from CTB - I don't like writing names on the board, but names on post it notes it a brilliant idea. Also giving them enough time to follow your instructions.

6. bg31rr

bg31rr New commenter

I agree sometimes students don't mean to be defiant. I always raise my hand as well then there's none of the "But I didn't hear!" complaints. I also find that silently writing names down works with the odd turn and glare to anyone persisting. For those kids who are really tricky, I find that sitting down and sighing heavily, pretending to do admin, tutting etc and generally looking moody helps!

pepper5 likes this.
  7. sarah_dann1

sarah_dann1 Occasional commenter TES Behaviour peer advisor

Writing names on the board is a tricky one - for some classes, it works well as a public view of who is not behaving well. However, I have found this usually only works in schools where behaviour is actually quite good and kids just need a little reminder.

If behaviour is a struggle anyway, this tends to wind them up and give more reasons for them to argue!

Post its can work, as with older students, does simply standing waiting looking bored. Eventually they work out it's their own time they're wasting. However, when that doesn't work, giving time to finish up (within reason) is good, especially if you are calm and insistent after this. Consistency is key. Explain they have time to finish their discussion but then must be ready to listen. Give a countdown (I also raise an arm as it's usually noticed - I don't make them raise their arms) but then be ready to warn and remove if students don't stop. Explain that group/discussion activities can't be done if the listening skills are not also evident.

pepper5 likes this.
  8. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

Yes, writing names of the ones misbehaving can create even more drama - anything for a bit of drama and another task avoidance ploy.