1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Countdown to Summer

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by gulfgolf, May 30, 2020.

1. gulfgolf

gulfgolf Established commenter

I’ll start. Five days.

2. tigi

tigi Occasional commenter

Crumbs....

I think 7 more weeks here in Bucharest (extended summer term thanks to Corona....)

3. Ne11y

Ne11y Occasional commenter

11 teaching days.

4. mermy

mermy Occasional commenter

4 weeks

5. 576

576 Established commenter

5 weeks

6. migratingbird

migratingbird Occasional commenter

10 teaching days, 4 of which will be in school

7. mightyb

mightyb New commenter

24 teaching days. Hoping some kind of holiday is possible then ️

8. bigfatgit

bigfatgit Occasional commenter

What's a holiday?
    Don't think I'll be getting one this summer
    So glad I went home at Christmas

9. StrangePanda

StrangePanda Occasional commenter

18 teaching days.

10. stopwatch

stopwatch Lead commenter

Never mind when your ‘holiday’ starts, how many of you will not be able to get a flight out/home.
    I know a handful of people in Saudi and Cambodia who will be spending their Summer in the host country unless things change soon.

Kartoshka and bec_payne like this.
  11. colacao17

colacao17 Senior commenter

How does that come about then? I thought Romania was one of those countries which had closed its schools until September?

Is that the same for all international schools there?

12. tigi

Online teaching, we've been doing so since we closed in march.

One upside of Romania is that while many of us will not be able to travel home or to the overseas destination planned, it is a beautiful country to spend the summer in.

13. adultsocialcare

adultsocialcare Occasional commenter

I feel for those working in Kuwait, who have been told they aren't getting paid again if they leave at the end of term, and if they stay, they must work doing catch-up during July and August and they won't get paid anyway until at least October, maybe beyond!!!

You have to love ME contracts!

14. colacao17

colacao17 Senior commenter

How has it led to term being extended? You are teaching more weeks than normal?

15. tb9605

tb9605 Established commenter

3 weeks to go. Not at all disappointed to be staying here (Alicante province) over the summer...

16. norwichred

norwichred Occasional commenter

Finished here in Kuwait - but starting again august to complete third term of this academic year.

17. grdwdgrrrl

grdwdgrrrl Occasional commenter

4 weeks, with the possibility of a 4 week term 4 in July. Extra pay for that and voluntary.

18. tigi

Without giving too much away the school decided for various reasons to extend the term from the end of June to mid July.

colacao17 likes this.
  19. amysdad

amysdad Established commenter

3 weeks.

One of our problems is that normally around now, students go off on their trip weeks. Obviously, that's not happening - so all our courses are a week short......

20. markedout

markedout Occasional commenter

Four weeks left after this one. I hadn't booked any summer travel, and now I don't need to as I have to stay here! We plan to do a few staycations in different emirates and that's all we can hope for. Fortunately my parents came out in Feb and my daughter last December.

spanboy and imason5 like this.