1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Countdown to summer 2018

Discussion in 'Retirement' started by heldon, Aug 27, 2017.

1. heldon

heldon Occasional commenter

I am now more excited to get to that place seasoned than I have been for many years. Only three more sets of reports to write, only one more in service training day. Glad things going well seasoned, keep updating us.

2. Shedman

Shedman Star commenter

I'm with you all the way seasoned. Just part time with exam groups until they go on study leave and then I'm off too. Can't wait to be free of it all.

Jesmond12 likes this.
  3. SundaeTrifle

SundaeTrifle Occasional commenter

Can I now join the escape committee?

I told my head a couple of years since I would be finishing this summer, but haven't dared really start thinking about it until recently. I was asked to hand in my notice just after Christmas so they could get on with recruiting.

Anyway, they have now appointed a lively, energetic and capable young man in my department to be HoD in my place and also recruited an NQT for next year. I well and truly feel like I am on my way out.

The ironic thing is that all my teaching groups are among the loveliest ever. Even the Y9's who can be switched off once they have picked their options are delightful, cheery young people to be with.

There have been moments when I have felt this has been one year too many, you know when they bring in new paperwork to increase your workload, but if I look at one day at a time it isn't too bad.

Last weekend for the first time I wrote a countdown calendar and realised I had 20 weeks left. Actually I have three exam classes so the year should tail off nicely from May onwards.

I am dreading having to make a leaving speech and also don't want to be on the receiving end of one. That's a difficult part.

4. heldon

You are in. The tunnel digging is going well. We are outside the wire and heading for the trees. Intention is to get us all out safely.

My speech will be very short, will l focus on future intentions and will be completed along with images of my future dreams.

Are you in Scotland?

5. seasoned

seasoned Occasional commenter

I hope everything goes well for you..!!! I chose not to make a leaving speech; but I sent an 'all staff' email and then spoke personally with the small number of colleagues for whom I have respect and who have been supportive over the years. I only became emotional in early January when my lump sum from Teachers Pensions arrived in my bank account.... :)

6. SundaeTrifle

No, Lancashire.

7. Jesmond12

Jesmond12 Star commenter

Dear all,

Come on in the water is lovely:)

I think that I was born to be retired!

8. heldon

17 teaching weeks to go now!

lucylollipop likes this.
  9. poppy45

poppy45 New commenter

It can’t come soon enough for me, after 30 years I think I’ve got a serious case of burn out. The work load has become rediculous and lets be honest, most of it unnecessary. I am shocked at how many younger teachers are also becoming so cynical and disillusioned and looking for ways out. I think the threat of ofsted is the least of anybody’s worries, it’s the day to day pressures that really grind you down. I look back nostalgically to the times when the only worries of the job was the kids’ behaviour, I wouldn’t recommend teaching as a career option for anyone now. Roll on July!

10. poppy45

poppy45 New commenter

Yes, me!!! Just booked a holiday for September so will definitely have to leave now, mind made up, installed the countdown app and no more indecision for me, yippeee

11. Jesmond12

Jesmond12 Star commenter

Last September we went away to Northumberland following my retirement.

We could not believe how busy it was!

Enjoy the countdown.

Shedman likes this.
  12. heldon

16 teaching weeks to go!

lucylollipop likes this.
  13. stopwatch

stopwatch Lead commenter

Ditto :)

Not only 16 weeks to go until retirement, but 16 weeks to go to a permanent return to UK after 17 years teaching overseas!

I have a little list of these deadlines and countdowns:
    - 4 weeks to Easter (and a 2 week break back in UK)
    - 8 more weeks of after school ECAs (I do about 10 hours a week on top of 20 lessons teaching - we then move to Ramadan where all after school gets cancelled - and I get my evenings and weekends back)
    - 4 more major sports events (I coach after school sports and these events take out a weekend from my schedule)

I don't know about you, but I have this weird experience of the individual days reeeeeaaallly dragging, but the weeks flying.

I don't like wishing time away, but I can make an exception for these next 16 weeks (apart from the 2 week Easter break of course) :p

SundaeTrifle likes this.
  14. Jesmond12

Jesmond12 Star commenter

You can start counting the days

15. binaryhex

binaryhex Lead commenter

It's less than 80 if you remove Bank Holiday's, Sports Day, INSET days, half days at the end of term and of course, a planned three day cold when the weather is nice.

16. Jesmond12

Jesmond12 Star commenter

I hope you have a countdown chart or a calendar where you are crossing the days off. I had both!

17. SundaeTrifle

Humph, still 18 teaching weeks to go for me!

18. heldon

15 weeks to go

lucylollipop likes this.
  19. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

Mrs Hippopotamus and I will be leaving China on 18th of June, 2018, and my last day at school will be Friday, 15th. In some ways it is very exciting, but also it is a bit scary as well. We need to sort out our freight, as we will have a few bits and pieces to be shipped back to Bulgaria. We have just had a wonderful two-week holiday in the Philippines, so I feel that my batteries have been recharged.

20. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

Yippee! Well done, sally90. Yes, a difficult Year 6 class can be absolutely exhausting. That is why I prefer to teach Year 5.

97 days to go, until the end of the second semester and the start of my retirement.