1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Countdown to summer 2018

Discussion in 'Retirement' started by heldon, Aug 27, 2017.

1. plot71

plot71 New commenter

Snow is fantastic this year too, just returning to the slopes now as prices low and fun high and lifts without waiting. So glad to leave.

eljefeb90 likes this.
  2. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

binaryhex, if you enjoy Eastern Europe, then you should definitely read my blog, Bulgaria with Noodles. At the moment, Mrs Hippo and I are still in China (that explains the noodles in the title), but from June 2018 we will be leaving for Bulgaria. We have a house to the north of Sofia and an apartment in the historic city of Veliko Tarnovo. You can find my blog at www.bulgariawithnoodles.blogspot.com

If I want lots of snow, plot71, all I have to do is to open the front door.

plot71 likes this.
  3. plot71

plot71 New commenter

With Spring being such a magical time of year in colour, temperature and mostly free of biting insects I've now reduced my time from 2 days to 0 beginning Easter. This does feel a little like walking away from the cliff-edge, but so far I remain fit enough to do that. Scary prospect in many ways since the job is still fun (probably due to a significant reduction in responsibility) but for me, it's better to leave in a positive light than not. Nevertheless, I feel great about the decision and still wake in the non-teaching mornings basking in the knowledge that the day is all mine, soon it'll be the year.

eljefeb90 likes this.
  4. heldon

heldon Occasional commenter

Another 2 weeks and I will be at the halfway point in my teaching year. I have been counting up, but at that point I'll start to count down. Have already started plotting holidays that were just not possible before.

Alldone, PeterQuint, Bedlam3 and 2 others like this.
  5. Sharpie123

Sharpie123 New commenter

I'm finishing on 24 July and cannot wait. Compulsory training tonight for a topic I've been teaching for 25 years - why oh why? I am committed to the students I teach, but the rest of it seems like such a waste of time now. I've had a nightmare claiming my pension for my birthday end Feb with it bouncing back and forth between our payroll provider (academy us) and the TPS. They tell me it will happen in time, but they also couldn't work out what was wrong with the automated application for something like a month - so we'll see. If/when it arrives at the right time, I shall start to rrelax and really wil be able to see the light at the end of the tunnel.

plot71 likes this.
  6. the hippo

Argh! I feel for you, Sharpie123. The TPS website is not exactly user-friendly.

7. heldon

20 weeks of this academic year done. So 20 still to do! Counting down now rather than up, yippeee!

SundaeTrifle and plot71 like this.
  8. poppy45

poppy45 New commenter

Same here, but don’t you find the closer you get to retirement the more you want to go. Once your heart’s not in it everyday is a killer, perhaps that’s just me.

9. catmother

catmother Star commenter

So true.

razziegyp likes this.
  10. plot71

plot71 New commenter

That's why I did the numbers and popped my notice in this week to knock the final nail in to leave at Easter.

11. stopwatch

stopwatch Lead commenter

By the end of next week I will be exactly half way through the academic year with 5 months left to go. Definitely a countdown rather than a count up!

In addition, the major 'hard work' will be done by the time Ramadan arrives around 16th May and there will be a 1 month easing up until Eid, then a 3 day holiday and then less than 2 weeks to the end of term and a Business Class flight back to UK and retirement (the BC flight is an end of career treat to myself/ourselves).

Bit of weird feeling at the moment where the weeks seem to be ticking by quickly, but each day is also dragging. Oh well - it's the weekend - counting small blessings!:)

Bedlam3 likes this.
  12. Shedman

Shedman Star commenter

No, it's not just you.

I'm doing part time just to see my exam classes through their summer exams. I resigned last summer and being a one teacher department the school wasn't going to replace me so my subject goes with me and I'm just tying up loose ends by going part time until the exam season begins.

I worked for over 25 years building up my department, developing and making resources, SOW, commissioning a new subject area and so on. Now it feels as if my teaching career is just fading away. I go in for the lessons I still have to do but I'm barely going through the motions. I do my best for the students in class but as soon as the lessons end I'm out the door. I've told SLT that I don't want any departmental responsibility so development plans and the rest of the useless paperwork doesn't get done and who even notices or cares? Other classes now use my old teaching area when I'm not working and the tools and equipment in the cupboards are disappearing or are being wilfully damaged but what's the point of bothering anymore when they will probably end up in the skip at the end of the academic year anyway?

I absolutely loathe having to go in. When other staff have a grouse about some new whizzy initiative, my eyes glaze over and I really don't give a sh *t, I've heard it all before and things will never get better and in a few more months the whole charade will be over for me. I just can't wait. I feel I'm in a sort of limbo, I want to get on with the rest of my life, maybe get a new part time job (NOT in teaching) or do some volunteering but this grim, demotivating and demoralising end to my 30+ year teaching career just seems to be holding me back and dragging me down

13. heldon

I am quite lucky this year. I have mostly good classes and a good timetable. In fact everyone is saying what a good mood I am in.

Only one or two know I go this summer. I am trying to enjoy the good bits of the job. I am saying to myself just one more set of reports for this year groups or that year group.

For the first time in over 33 years, the only forward planning I am doing is for my summer and autumn holidays. For the last while I was swithering about stopping, but as binaryhex always points out there will be an inevitable decline in my ability to do the things I want to do, trekking and cycle touring. So come summer age 56, I am off, yippeee!

Let's keep this thread going after we stop. We can share our experiences and feelings with each other.

Dorsetdreams, Shedman and eljefeb90 like this.
  14. seasoned

seasoned Occasional commenter

I was in a similar situation prior to my early retirement in December 2017. As a young teacher I was so passionate about the role but after 36 years in the profession -with 15 years at my last school - I just reached the end of the road. I think it was a combination of the over load of initiatives and the 'tick box' culture coupled with the 'know all' Johnny come latelies to the profession and the lack of any recognition for experience & wisdom....But I feel really positive now& I'm really enjoying the next stage of my life...

frangipani123 and Shedman like this.
  15. Dorsetdreams

Dorsetdreams Occasional commenter

Please do. These posts represent the light at the end of the tunnel for us with years rather than months to go, and hearing how it goes will be an inspiration, I hope, or a useful warning if not!

Hum... I feel like a child anticipating Christmas in November and I wish I hadn't let these thoughts get started. Too early for me to start ignoring the c**p as Shedman is doing. I'm already spending time on here when I should be marking...

16. Shedman

Shedman Star commenter

I've done it all the time.

17. heldon

19 Weeks to go now, I know some of you reach the halfway this weekend. Time to countdown now rather than up.

All the meetings I have to go to are talking about session18/19, I smile :)

18. the hippo

15th June, 2018. Bring it on! Our apartment here in Shenzhen is absolutely freezing, with single-glazing and no central heating.

19. Endeavour1

Endeavour1 New commenter

Permission to come aboard?

Expected Leaving Date : 19 July, noon

Years Teaching : 16

Subject : ICT & Computing

Reason (s) : learning walks, book scrutiny, data collection drops,volume of interventions expected, volume of marking, volume of differentiation, unrealistic targets (The only flight path I want to talk about is my summer holiday with Mr Endeavour).

Thank you

frangipani123 and Shedman like this.
  20. seasoned

seasoned Occasional commenter

I totally agree.. !! Having to attend a whole staff training session entitled 'How to speak to parents' was the last straw for me. I took early retirement at the age of 58 - in December 2017 - with 36 years' service- andI can't believe the sense of 'release' I feel. During my last 12 months the job I once loved and was so passionate about had become so lacking in personal satisfaction that my interest and enthusiasm had disappeared like ice in the sun. I now feel much more positive about my life in general; my teaching career is over and I am now positively looking forward to the next stage of my life.