1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Countdown to summer 2018

Discussion in 'Retirement' started by heldon, Aug 27, 2017.

1. Sundaytrekker

Sundaytrekker Star commenter

If you are ill, stay at home and take sickness absence. If you are not ill, you go to work. It would be fraud to ‘take sick leave’ when you are not sick.

stopwatch and Startedin82 like this.
  2. 50sman

50sman Senior commenter

I do agree with you @Sundaytrekker but performing dodgy lesson observations to prove hidden agenda is also fraud and is increasingly going on with the over 50s
    PS - I am not suugesting that you even thought of doing such a thing I have read enough of your posts to know your principles would not let you!

3. Startedin82

Startedin82 Established commenter

Got to agree with @Sundaytrekker. Taking sick leave when not sick is just plain wrong and a waste of public money.

Sundaytrekker and stopwatch like this.
  4. stopwatch

stopwatch Established commenter

Yes I agree too. I wasn't suggesting that anybody should pretend they are sick and take sick leave (though rereading my post made me see it looked like that).
    I would only suggest the tack I proposed should be used if you are genuinely sick.
    BTW - I totally agree with 50sMan - a lot of education now is pretence and fraud. I have seen so much put on paper which isn't actually happening or what is on paper is a lie/isn't actually happening as it is described.

plot71 likes this.
  5. mrkeys

mrkeys Occasional commenter

Sorry posted a reply in wrong thread.

Totally agree with 50sMan. Have seen so many lies and deceit particularly in the last 10 years of my career.

I also must admit that aches and colds tended to result in my phoning in sick in my last year where previously I would have battled through. I wanted to be fit to enjoy my run in to retirement.
    Never felt any pressure nor any guilt.
    Also for the previous 36 years had may times struggled in to find myself covering a class for someone who probably felt better than me.
    Teaching is a job and once left we are replaced.
    Period.

happilyconfused2 likes this.
  6. happilyconfused2

happilyconfused2 New commenter

I have been with my current school for 10 years and have had no sick days. I am the sort that always soldiers on and meets deadlines and ticks boxes.

I have a lovely year 13 class so at the moment I keep on going as a sense of duty to them. They did really well at AS last year.

Sense of loyalty and duty. But the head doesn't want me around and will get someone a lot cheaper.

I am not taking any extended sick leave but an Easter departure now seems appealing. I have until Feb half term to ponder.

plot71 likes this.
  7. happilyconfused2

And then again once the exam classes have gone - like is easier after May half term ......... hmm

8. happilyconfused2

dammit I now really like my Year 10 group!

9. heldon

heldon Occasional commenter

Funnily enough, I am having the best teaching year for many years. I think because I am ignoring the rubbish, and concentrating on the reason why I came into the job in the first place. However, as of next summer I am out. Pleased to be in position to get out aged 56. Too many places to see, too many things to do, too much of a need to have time for people that are important in my life. Roll on - won't be rich but will be rich in terms of time and choice!

10. happilyconfused2

Last autumn term officially over ! Happy days

lucylollipop likes this.
  11. seasoned

seasoned New commenter

I took early retirement last Friday & I can't believe the sense of 'release' I feel. A profession I once loved & was so passionate about.....but now it's someone else's turn.....

12. happilyconfused2

"Pass the parcel. That's sometimes all you can do. Take it, feel it, and pass it on. Not for me, not for you, but for someone, somewhere, one day. Pass it on, boys. That's the game I want you to learn. Pass it on."

Well done Seasoned - you have done your bit.

I will spend the next couple of terms firming up my business start up.

frangipani123 likes this.
  13. Bedlam3

Bedlam3 Lead commenter

Congratulations seasoned!

14. binaryhex

binaryhex Lead commenter

The skiing season has started in many parts of Europe. There are some great (and cheap) places to ski in Eastern Europe from the second week of January onwards but just being in the mountains is fantastic. One of my favourite things to do for a month or so in recent years has been to travel around Eastern Europe in winter using trains - warm trains, cold days but usually intense blue sky, very cheap hotels, no crowds and lots of fun.

plot71 likes this.
  15. heldon

heldon Occasional commenter

So as we approach the close to 2017. What are the "I am retiring class of 2018" all thinking? What are your hopes and aspirations for 2018?

I hope to finish in the summer, but it may end up being Christmas, not sure yet?

If I do finish in the summer, then I would like to go on a holiday the first day of the term after the summer hols!

Let us look forward to great things next year!

16. stopwatch

stopwatch Established commenter

Finishing in July. Definitely not rushing into anything.

2 weddings (1 July (friend), 1 August (daughter)) plus another 'old gits walking tour' with 4 retired friends. Then Goa for a trip to visit friends/family in September. Likely at least 2 more holidays over the year and look for some part time work.

Plenty of impromptu trips and visits around the country

Then decide what comes next.

Oh yes - and lots of rest and relaxation and allowing myself to do very little - or at least a lot less than I have been doing for the last 40 years

17. happilyconfused2

I plan to enjoy my last two terms and will sort out my old teaching resources as I have collected a lot of clutter?

Finishing July 2018

Holiday September 2018

frangipani123 likes this.
  18. seasoned

seasoned New commenter

Having just taken early retirement a few weeks ago - my plan for retirement was not to make any plans....I'm just really enjoying the feeling that I won't be returning to school in January and for the first time in 36 years my day won't be managed by bells ringing..!! I've enjoyed my career but during the Autumn term I decided that retirement would be ' my time' where for once I can put my own personal feelings and needs above everything else.

19. SundaeTrifle

SundaeTrifle Occasional commenter

Well done, seasoned. Enjoy your long lie-ins and lots of happiness.

sally90 likes this.
  20. Sally_90

Sally_90 Occasional commenter

This time last year I was in the same boat.My last two terms in teaching were horrendous due to the constant anticipation of a long-overdue visit from 'The Suits' plus the most challenging and draining Year 6 class in living memory.

To help move time along,I started sorting out my resources at home and at school so that by July there wasn't much left to do in that respect. My bookshelves at home were completely 'school free' by May!!

We flew abroad on the first day of the Autumn term!:D:D