1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Countdown to summer 2018

Discussion in 'Retirement' started by holdingon, Aug 27, 2017.

1. eljefeb90

eljefeb90 Occasional commenter

What @bobakabob said rings true, although I don't know where he gets the evidence for retirees falling ill. Teaching is all-consuming, seeping into your 'free time' so that when you're not actually working on something concrete, you're thinking(or worrying) about it. Physically, you're with family but mentally you're with your Year 9 bottom set. I purposely mentally disengaged over my last two terms after 25 years as a HoD. After so long in the same job, I totally self-defined according to my role and took pride in it. However, I realised my commitment was being exploited which made it easier to leave. I still worked the hours, but the emotional engagement massively diminished over my last two terms. It was important to make short-term plans and longer-term ones for retirement. I rented a flat in Valencia for 3 months and then came home and sought out various seasonal/part-time jobs , none of them involving teaching . The whole process of retirement has been truly liberating. The pension and lump sum provide financial security and the possibilities are endless. When meeting former colleagues, I have to tone down how content and, most importantly, how free from stress I feel.

2. stopwatch

stopwatch Occasional commenter

Good post and very encouraging. I have just handed in my official resignation today (to finish end July 2018 - I work overseas so different contract situation). Very liberating.

Like you, I realised a long time ago that no matter how much emotional investment and time you put into a job, 'they' will keep on taking and not really appreciate it other than a few kind words now and again. Everyone is replaceable and people move on/forget you very quickly

Also like you, since restarting this September, knowing I am finishing, I am still putting in the required effort but already mentally disengaging as well as not going to any kind of meeting/training which is based on next years plans.

It's flipping great!!:)

3. happilyconfused2

happilyconfused2 New commenter

Last open evening tonight but it is a bit

An AHT with his head so far up HT **** says we need to start Year 11 intervention this half term. In his dreams. I have breaks booked for October and February half terms.

An hour to go

4. seasoned

seasoned New commenter

A few years ago I read an interesting book called ' Running on Empty' by Jonice Webb which was about emotional neglect in childhood; sadly, I feel that many colleagues experience and suffer from emotional neglect in school and probably don't even realise it. The world has changed since I started my teaching career in 1982. - and so has the profession. I've enjoyed my 35 years working in inner city secondary schools in ' challenging circumstances' but recently my passion has disappeared like ice in the sun. So it's early retirement at Christmas & I will never teach again but I am really looking forward to the next stage of my life......good times..!!!

5. binaryhex

binaryhex Established commenter

Yep, the job is good for many teachers for many years, and then it all rapidly catches up on them and they wonder why they are putting up with this rubbish when they really don't have to. Teachers spend so long being constantly exhausted, stressed out and having a substandard life outside the job that they have forgotten how to live and have fun. For some, however, they remember just in time before they collapse completely into a boring looking pile on the floor or get booted out on some trumped up performance management issue instigated by a twenty something and retire early, then go crazy and live life to the full, gradually forgetting the nightmare over time.

6. stopwatch

Time is dragging! 30 teaching weeks + 7 weeks holidays before I finish here and return on 28th June. Returning to UK for Christmas and Easter and to Sri Lanka October HT and Goa February HT. Calendar with weeks scratched off on fridge.

On the positive side, feeling so much more at ease being able to ignore irrelevancies and seeing the potential c**p I would have had to deal with next year - knowing I will be in UK watching Homes under the Hammer instead;)

frangipani123 and seasoned like this.
  7. the hippo

the hippo Established commenter Community helper

Stoppers, old chap, it sounds as though you are getting a bit "demob happy". As for me, the garbage of the CIS visit is now over, but of course now they want us to start preparing for the next Visitation from The Powers That Be. That means more pointless meetings.

8. stopwatch

Not quite demob 'happy' as such - I think that will come after Easter on the final lap. I would say more like demob 'calm' - working at maintaining an internal CBA attitude whilst still going through the necessary motions.

lindenlea and eljefeb90 like this.
  9. Sundaytrekker

Sundaytrekker Star commenter

A colleague I knew spoke of SEP. I thought I’d missed something and asked what SEP meant. Someone Else’s Problem she replied as she was retiring the next July. So just file things under SEP where possible!

lindenlea and eljefeb90 like this.
  10. happilyconfused2

happilyconfused2 New commenter

Ah yes - Half Term and the sky is blue ..

ikon66 likes this.
  11. granddam

granddam New commenter

Have this week joined the happy band of August 2018 retirees. Still enjoying the actual teaching but not the hours. Looking forward to being able to look forward without thinking: no, can't do that then, will have reports, exam marking, UCAS applications etc., etc., etc..

12. holdingon

holdingon Occasional commenter

just had two weeks in the sunshine, might go for a month next year

hate middle of the night flights though!

20% done - next target Christmas when it will be 40%

I have decided that once I get beyond 50%, I'll count down instead of up

lindenlea and happilyconfused2 like this.
  13. the hippo

the hippo Established commenter Community helper

Argh! They told us that we are going to have extra meetings, in addition to the useless ones we already have. Well, I just have to put up with it for a few more months...

14. AlwaysAdaptable

AlwaysAdaptable New commenter

Early retirement is looking more and more appealing.

15. stopwatch

Had a little 'sojourn' into what it might be like in retirement. Took a 6 day half term break to a very quiet beach hotel in Sri Lanka for half term whilst re-reading 'The New Retirementality' (definitely worth buying), this time using a highlighter to mark all of the stuff that 'jumped out' at me to remember.

What did I learn:
    • From our stay at the hotel - that we can survive without TV or radio and enjoy doing very little other than read, walk, sleep, talk, eat, drink. Not necessarily something I would do every holiday, but definitely on the bucket list of things to do in 'retirement year 1'
    • From re-reading the book - lots really - too much to re-write here, but essentially:
    1. Plan ahead for your retirement - what you will do to ensure you don't turn into a slippers and pipe wielding cabbage. A meaningful retirement won't just happen - and it might take 3 or 4 attempts before you find the right balance.
    2. Don't plan on 24/7 leisure - this will quickly turn into boredom and you won't know why.
    3. Plan your finances - carefully - and assume you will live a long life - or risk being a broke 80 + year old.
    4. Continue working - but choose carefully what you do. Do something less stressful and something you enjoy. Try to consider the monetary reward as a secondary reward behind keeping active, your brain functions working, social interactions, contributing to a good cause. Working longer has been proven to extend life and slow down bodily/mental degeneration.
    5. Work proactively at keeping a healthy, but fun life. Fun and laughter have more long term health benefits than you realise. Try to age well.
    6. Being 'old' is more a sense of perspective and mental attitude than chronological age - and can impact on your longevity.
    There was a lot more than this - but read the book and you will see.

8 months and counting........ yeehaaaaaaaa!!! :);)

eljefeb90 likes this.
  16. lucylollipop

lucylollipop New commenter

Can I join the Countdown gang please? I have told HT that I will be going in Summer 2018 but the pressure seems to have ramped up! (not just for me, for everyone .... new HT, new SLT, enough said!) and I'm not sure I'll make it to Summer! I am feeling very stressed and although I keep telling myself that, of course I can get to next July, I'm actually feeling that I can't do this for much longer. Work load is immense, deadlines are ridiculously short, new initiatives thrown at us everyday... the list goes on! I am sleeping about 3-4 hours a night and half term was a blur because I was so anxious. Anyone got any advice or wise words to help me get through please?

17. seasoned

seasoned New commenter

I was in a similar situation to yourself at the end of the Summer term & I initially thought about doing another twelve months and retiring in August 2018. However, on reflection during the Summer holidays I decided to take early retirement at Christmas instead so I only have six weeks remaining as a member of the teaching profession...!!! I already feel amazingly relaxed and have realised that at a certain age I don't need the constantly challenging culture any more which now exists in schools. Life's too short & I'm grateful that the teachers pension has given me options.

18. stopwatch

I think that, in teaching, you hold back so much and push your true feelings to the back of your mind. Once you know you are going, it is difficult to keep doing this which can make things more difficult.
    There is so much 'head in the sand' 'Emperor's new clothes' mentality where, when you don't need to do this, your true feelings come out.
    Keep counting the days - make mini targets/mini deadlines and do it bit by bit. It will be Summer 2018 before we know it and we can all let out one big YEEEEEHAAAAAA!!!! :);)

lindenlea, eljefeb90 and lucylollipop like this.
  19. holdingon

holdingon Occasional commenter

Welcome to the summer 2018 team

lucylollipop likes this.
  20. lucylollipop

lucylollipop New commenter

Thank you holdingon! Good advice from stopwatch - thank you! I do need to break things down and take one day at a time. Today was lovely with my class, then again, head wasn't in, no emails and have decided not to check work emails tonight - God, I'm a rebel!
    Seasoned, I am really envious that you are going at Christmas. I am eligible for early retirement in April, so that may be an option then.
    Roll on July 2018 and a new life begins!
    I'm going to find one of those countdown things that Jesmond had for last year.