1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Countdown to summer 2018

Discussion in 'Retirement' started by holdingon, Aug 27, 2017.

1. stopwatch

stopwatch Occasional commenter

Your comment might assume that there is no life in retirement - although I am sure that isn't what you are saying. I think that people are more wishing their current jobs away so that they can start their new career - retirement!! To be honest, if your life is as bad as mine was when I last taught in the UK (2001), I would happily wish away a year or so just to get out.

Like Hippo, I am also finishing an overseas contract and retiring to UK at 61 years old. Already claiming the 21 years TPS since April and will be using savings from overseas to generate further income until the State Pension (hopefully) kicks in when I am 66.

.... and going on lots of cheap holidays, visiting my 'kids' and grandchildren, and generally (again hopefully) working through my bucket list.

As the kids say "Bring it on!!" :)

eljefeb90 likes this.
  2. holdingon

holdingon Occasional commenter

Had a really good week this week. Tried to concentrate on the good things about the job rather than the -'ve things. Knowing that I am planning for next summer will mean I'll have a better year, I hope. If I can't afford to go next summer the fall back plan is Xmas, but definitely 2018.. Would rather go summer though!

catmother and happilyconfused2 like this.
  3. happilyconfused2

happilyconfused2 New commenter

Me too. I am not getting too hooked up on the latest data seating plan idea presented at our welcome back session. If it is not perfect then I am not going to beat myself up. I will plan, deliver and mark to the best of my ability. If it is not good enough for SLT then they need not worry as someone else will be in post next September (but please note that my results are really good :)) If my staff planner is not perfect then I will just shrug my shoulders. With an new outlook on life it has been a less stressful start to the year.

4. the hippo

the hippo Established commenter Community helper

Yes, bring it on! I absolutely agree, Stoppers.
    My present school in China is preparing for the Council of International Schools (CIS) accreditation. It is not quite as bad as OFSTED, but it does mean A LOT of boring meetings. There is also some nonsense called "articulation". I thought that was something to do with lorries.

5. catmother

catmother Lead commenter

Me too. I don't think I'd like to go mid year (unless it became just too much and just had to go before I'd kill someone!).
    I don't really get posters who are planning to go post Christmas. Would it not feel strange to have taken classes half the year and just leave them? Summer feels a more natural time to say "goodbye,thank you and I hope I never see any of you again(that last bit will be said in my head!).

6. stopwatch

Having made my decision to finish this Summer I have already noticed a change in my mindset from "Let me try and resolve this (ridiculous/needless/irritating) problem", to "Whatever!" (Like Catmother, saying this in my head, whilst continuing to be smiley and cheerful).

Having spent the last 38 years adopting an approach of working hard at my job and on many occasions, taking the higher ground in resolving difficult challenges, I feel justified in becoming at least a bit more demob happy.

Don't get me wrong, I am not being neglectful of my responsibilities and am putting in the same level of effort to my teaching and relationships with students, but the peripheral irritations I am ignoring as best I can.

9 months to go...... and counting...... :)

eljefeb90 likes this.
  7. seasoned

seasoned New commenter

Why don't you ' get' posters who are planning to retire at Christmas??? I'm 58 & retiring at Christmas after 36 years service - because it's suits me..!! I'm at the stage of my life where I put myself first rather than others and no...it doesn't feel strange at all...!! Why on earth would anyone carry on for another eight months just to please others?

My

eljefeb90 likes this.
  8. holdingon

holdingon Occasional commenter

I agree, it is only a job .
    Quit when you want to quit.

9. catmother

catmother Lead commenter

True,you have to do what suits you. I'm in Scotland, so Christmas to the end of June probably feels more manageable.

10. stopwatch

I think that, for most teachers it is (fortunately/unfortunately?) more than just a job. There is a lot of emotional investment potentially put into it for a number of years.

It is also a very unbalanced situation where I think teachers put in a lot more investment than other stakeholders (don'tcha just love that word - NOT!) and put others first most f the time.

HOWEVER - I agree with you that, after so many years of doing that, it is more than acceptable to put your own needs first in this situation.

eljefeb90 likes this.
  11. the hippo

Stakeholders? Is this a school or a 1950s horror film?

12. happilyconfused2

happilyconfused2 New commenter

Apparently I am always 'really helpful' and 'cheerful'. I haven't been this happy at work for a while.

Meanwhile my business start up plans are coming along. I may not make millions but it will be a useful additional income stream.

mrkeys likes this.
  13. mrkeys

mrkeys Occasional commenter

When it was time for me to go told the HT in September of my intention to go in July.
    Felt great all year.
    Did not care about any obs or scrutinies as kept everything up to date.
    She was so jealous.
    She was also the most unpleasant HT in 37 years of teaching.

eljefeb90 likes this.
  14. the hippo

Ha ha! Yes, one hears about soldiers being "demob happy", looking forward to a return to Civvy Street. I was a bit worried about this silly CIS accreditation thing, but like mrkeys now I really cannot be bothered.

Is teaching just a job? Well, yes, it might be, for many people.

15. eljefeb90

eljefeb90 Occasional commenter

As a past Christmas retiree, I almost said 'the ghost of Christmas past', I would recommend it. I'd made my mind up the previous Easter and informally told my department. Once you know you've had enough, why prolong the agony? I wrote my resignation letter in August

stopwatch and seasoned like this.
  16. Bedlam3

Bedlam3 New commenter

I'm going this Christmas. Once you know you are going to go you just want to go as soon as possible so waiting til summer seems pointless. I'm only semi retiring though and I'm looking for a part time job doing something simple! I'm looking forward to not having all the worry and pressure that teaching brings. I'm looking forward to being able to enjoy my evenings and weekends and to spend time with my family and friends. I can't wait!

eljefeb90 and seasoned like this.
  17. Startedin82

Startedin82 Occasional commenter

@stopwatch - I simply meant that in their desire to retire some people count down from terms even years to the day they hang up the chalk. No matter how unhappy in post that's still part of your life you cant have back (to my way of thinking).

18. bobakabob

bobakabob New commenter

It's very easy to become institutionalised. Teaching can be such an intense adrenaline fuelled complex job of highs and lows, the more time you spend, the more likely your identity, and rhythm of life are defined whether you like it or not. No matter how independent minded or creative you are, it's not always that easy pulling away, hence the unfortunately large number of teachers who fall ill after retiring. I'm gradually, moving on from a stressful HoD role back to part time teaching with a view to phasing retirement and quitting by the time I'm 58 (or earlier (56 this Christmas). Despite still mostly enjoying teaching (if not the dreadful politics), after 30 odd years it really is time to give it a break, and reclaim some precious life back... albeit one step at a time. Great to read so many perspectives here.

19. catmother

catmother Lead commenter

More and more seriously considering it. Currently getting ducks in a row.

frangipani123 likes this.
  20. the hippo

Some people say, "I am so busy, now that I am retired. However did I manage to do a full-time job?" On the other hand, there are those who say, "Retirement means that a lot of my social life has disappeared. I miss the contact with my students." Then there are those in the middle, doing a day or two or some maternity cover. Is that the best of both worlds? Or the worst?

When Mrs Hippo and I left the UK and went into international teaching, back in 1998, it really was a step in the dark, in many respects, as we had no idea where it would lead us. Now here we are in China. My guess is that retirement will be a bit like that.