1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Countdown to summer 2018

Discussion in 'Retirement' started by heldon, Aug 27, 2017.

1. binaryhex

binaryhex Lead commenter

The first school for next term contacted me yesterday, to do a Computing contract as they haven't recruited anyone suitable. I thought about it a bit after listening to their needsbut finally said No. The thought of having to gear up and be enthusiastic again, trying to make sense of impossible NEA requirements, dealing with silly childish behaviour and having to get up before 10.00am - I just don't need that.

Looking around Europe and beyond, Turkey looks like one of the few places where the pound actually looks like it is still worth something and it's sunny and warm. Next week perhaps ....

plot71 and seasoned like this.
  2. heldon

heldon Occasional commenter

sounds good, hope that will be me this time next year

3. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

I am planning to go in June, just after my 59th birthday. Maybe I might be prepared to do a few months somewhere, if I get bored and want a few extra bob. Then I remember those two meetings I went to at school yesterday and how utterly fed up, frustrated and bored I was by the double dose of nonsense. No, let's get out asap!

plot71, mrkeys and Startedin82 like this.
  4. mrkeys

mrkeys Occasional commenter

Exactly. Have now been retired for 3 full years. Just love the first week in September when I do not have to endure countless meetings where SLT just talk cr4p.

tolkien28, seasoned and Startedin82 like this.
  5. seasoned

seasoned New commenter

My Christmas present to myself this year is to take early retirement at the age of 58. The school closes on the 15th December for Christmas and this doesn't seem far away at all..!!!

6. happilyconfused2

happilyconfused2 New commenter

Now I have decided it is my last teaching year I am looking forward to tomorrow. Such a relief. Searching for a 'Jesmomd' timer this afternoon

7. heldon

If you find as good free countdown timer please share the link. 92.5% of my teaching year to go.

8. craigy77

craigy77 New commenter

I was a Scottish Principal Teacher and retired in June 2015, early but with an enhancement from local authority who were looking to get rid of Heads of Department and create super 20 teacher faculties with one teacher running 3-5 subjects.

I did some supply up until last March before finally calling it a day. Just planning my September to Christmas holidays

Startedin82 and lizziescat like this.
  9. Startedin82

Startedin82 Established commenter

I do worry that people are wishing their lives way in their desire to be retired.

10. seasoned

seasoned New commenter

I couldn't disagree more..!!!! I will, very soon be ' retired from teaching' - this will then be the start of the next stage of my life; exploring new opportunities and possibilities .

11. happilyconfused2

happilyconfused2 New commenter

I agree with seasoned. I will be leaving teaching but starting my own business. I suppose it depends upon your view of retirement - at 56 I still want to be economically active.

Today's youngsters will have a number of different jobs/careers over their working life. The time of the teachers who have done 20 years or so is coming to an end. And god forbid they have only worked in one or two schools!

frangipani123, plot71 and Startedin82 like this.
  12. heldon

I enjoy my life, but I am excited that from next summer, I will be free to decide what I will do and when I will do it. Fantastic.

catmother and Startedin82 like this.
  13. Jesmond12

Jesmond12 Star commenter

I used an app on my iPhone which was free.

14. plot71

plot71 New commenter

That's a really interesting future you're looking to retire to. What's the main attraction to Bulgaria?

15. the hippo

There is a good reason for buying property in Bulgaria: it is really, really CHEAP. A four- or five-bedroomed house with a big garden and some nice views? Yours for twenty thousand pounds or less. Oh and yes, in Bulgaria we do have something called a "summer". (You don't really have them in England.) Plus the Bulgarian equivalent of Council Tax is fifteen quid a year. If you get bored, then just get on the overnight train from Sofia and wake up in Istanbul or get in the car and drive to Greece or Turkey in a few hours. The local plonk is reasonably priced and very drinkable, while eating out is an affordable pleasure. If you have a largeish house in Bulgaria, then of course your friends and relatives from the UK can always come and stay with you (there are loads of cheap flights). As for keeping warm in the winter, I asked a Bulgarian friend and he said, "Oh, I just go up into the forest with my chainsaw. The forester is a friend of mine."

16. the hippo

Our villa is about 70km north of Sofia and it was advertised as a five-bedroomed house, but one bedroom is now my study and another is Mrs Hippo's music room. We paid twenty thousand pounds for it and all of our Bulgarian friends later told me, "What a rip off! They really made you pay a much higher price than you should have paid because you are a foreigner." Well, that was about ten years ago and since then property prices in the countryside have gone DOWN, although prices in Sofia have more or less kept up with inflation.

Here is our villa. It's nice and peaceful. You can see Mrs H drinking a cup of tea on the terrace.

129.jpg

17. heldon

18. the hippo

Yes, it is true, holdingon. Depopulation is a big problem, so house prices in the countryside are falling lower and lower.

As well as walking, in the winter there is also some excellent (and reasonably priced) skiing in the mountains.

19. junder3

junder3 New commenter

So you would recommend Bulgaria as a retirement destination?

20. the hippo

Well, it may not suit everyone, junder3.

As regular readers of the pachyderm's online ramblings will already know, Mrs Hippopotamus is Russian and so she feels very much at home in Bulgaria. As for me, the number one reason was the very, very low price of property. Why bother with silly things like mortgages? It is so much quicker and simpler to pay cash. For the price of a second-hand car, you could buy a big place in the Bulgarian countryside, with maybe 2000 or 3000 square metres of garden. The climate is so much better too, with a long, hot summer (we are just round the corner from Greece) and a short, sharp winter that will give you plenty of snow in the mountains for some good skiing. Once you get over the shock of the Cyrillic alphabet, Bulgarian is not a particularly difficult language and most of the estate agencies that deal with foreign buyers have plenty of staff who speak English. There are heaps of cheapie flights to the UK, so you can pop over to Blighty if you want to or else your friends and family can come and stay with you in Bulgaria. And did I mention the olives? Or the good (and modestly priced) Bulgarian wine?

And please do not get me started on the subject of Council Tax in the UK. It always puts a big smile on my face when I happily pay the Bulgarian equivalent of the Council Tax for our villa in the mountains: fifteen pounds a year. Ha ha!

Here is the view from our bedroom window. Retirement in the UK? You are joking, aren't you?

006.jpg

Marisha and pennyh. like this.