1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Countdown to summer 2018

Discussion in 'Retirement' started by heldon, Aug 27, 2017.

1. Shedman

Shedman Star commenter

Flippant away to your heart's content!

2. binaryhex

binaryhex Lead commenter

If you can, retire. You don't know when your health will start to drop off a cliff, but when it does, boy will it drop. There is a wonderful world out there so go and enjoy it before you physically or mentally can't. You're experts so use your expertise - part of every year for the last five years, I've done voluntary work between two and three months and it is so rewarding! I've had so much fun. And you never know what surprises the Government might spring on those in their 50s. If you can, just go. Then live.

eljefeb90, Piranha, seasoned and 2 others like this.
  3. heldon

heldon Occasional commenter

Wise words , roll on summer

4. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

83 days to go! Roll on Thursday, 14th June, my very last day.

One small problem: my students (and their parents) do not know about my departure. I think that I will keep this quiet as long as possible. Another small difficulty will be shifting all of our bits and pieces from China back to Bulgaria, as well as moving our cash. Chinese banks can be a bit awkward (and slow).

eljefeb90 likes this.
  5. stopwatch

stopwatch Lead commenter

Flying back to UK for the Easter break and then returning back overseas for the final term - which is incredibly nice!!

eljefeb90 likes this.
  6. heldon

11 weeks and 4 days still to go.

7. SundaeTrifle

SundaeTrifle Occasional commenter

Broken up for Easter, then 14 working weeks to go. It feels good, I'm being passed over for lots of things that concern the future.

8. stopwatch

stopwatch Lead commenter

... and then.... hopefully..... when there are meetings/discussions looking at development for next year they will hopefully say to you... 'No need for you to attend if you don't want to....' and then watch you walk out of the door.

9. the hippo

Well, there was a meeting about arrangements for 2020/21 and I left early. Then everyone else followed me!

Bedlam3 likes this.
  10. heldon

ten weeks to go for me -yippee

catmother likes this.
  11. stopwatch

stopwatch Lead commenter

Ditto Ditto Ditto - all the way!!!

12. lucylollipop

lucylollipop Occasional commenter

12 weeks for me!!

13. SundaeTrifle

12 working weeks for me, 20th July. Why am I so much later than everyone else around here?

Things will scale down soon. Y11 leave in three weeks, Y13 leave in four weeks.

14. catmother

catmother Star commenter

Probably because English schools finish later? However, don't you have another half term at some point?

15. lucylollipop

lucylollipop Occasional commenter

Yeah, 12 working weeks for me too as I didn't count in half term. We finish Tuesday, 24th July .... am sure lots of interesting and relevant work will be happening on Mon and Tues!

SundaeTrifle likes this.
  16. SundaeTrifle

Yes, we have one in June.

17. stopwatch

stopwatch Lead commenter

I finish 28th June as we are overseas.

18. Sharpie123

Sharpie123 New commenter

Me too. All this year it’s seemed like ages away, but going back after Easter suddenly it feels within touching distance especially as I have lots of exam groups. What I didn’t realise was that this year would be as tough as any, as I care about these students as I would about any year. I’ll be so glad when it’s over.

eljefeb90 likes this.
  19. the hippo

The tunnel is nearly finished. Hiding the dirt has been a problem. We are planning to start digging upwards and we should come out just beyond the wire.

20. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

Keep an eye out for the Watchtowers!;)