1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Countdown to summer 2018

Discussion in 'Retirement' started by holdingon, Aug 27, 2017.

1. holdingon

holdingon Occasional commenter

I am stopping work next summer and wondered if anyone else wanted to share the journey in to freedom?

I will be 56 and will have service bought back to age 20. I will use savings through to age 60 then take the teachers pension.

Being in Scotland I finish at the end of next June, so 5% done and 95% still to do. Can't wait as so many other things I want to do/would rather do. It isn't the job it once was.

Anyone else on this countdown?

2. Peterpipergirl

Peterpipergirl New commenter

Why wait? Go at Christmas and be free.

pepper5 likes this.
  3. seasoned

seasoned New commenter

I totally agree..!! I'm 58 & I've decided to retire early at Christmas. I've enjoyed my career but after 35 years I've had enough; I'm not stressed but just tired of the same old...targets, observations,data ,Ofsted, and younger colleagues who think they have all the answers. I feel fortunate that the teachers pension will enable me to do this & I'm really looking forward to the next stage of my life. Good times..... ;)

4. ikon66

ikon66 Occasional commenter

I'm 59 and considering Xmas, 60 in July but only have 21 years in but apart from the income pension will hardly be much more for final 6 months or so. Wish I had another 10 years in :(

Sundaytrekker likes this.
  5. catmother

catmother Lead commenter

I'm giving it some serious thought.

Sundaytrekker likes this.
  6. Jesmond12

Jesmond12 Star commenter

Good luck. I started a similar thread last year with various countdown clocks as I was intending to go at Christmas. ( See "The final countdown" on this page under the popular threads list)

However I decided to go this summer instead and have not regretted it at all. I'm looking forward to next Monday.

pepper5, eljefeb90 and lindenlea like this.
  7. the hippo

the hippo Established commenter Community helper

Perhaps we should start a little group called "The Escape Committee". Well, I am planning to retire at the end of this academic year, so that means leaving at the end of June, 2018. I am currently teaching in southern China and there are still lots of things about my job that I enjoy. On the other hand, I am not going to retire in the UK, so my wife and I need to settle down overseas. That might be a bit more tricky, thanks to all of this Brexit nonsense! Also there are lots of other things that I want to do, such as El Camino de Santiago, a little stroll from the Pyrenees, through northern Spain, to Santiago de Compostella. However, the deciding factor has to be Mrs Hippo's parents, both of whom are now rather elderly and frail. We need to be able to support them and perhaps the one or the other of them will need to come and live with us in Bulgaria. This is now our fifth year in China and perhaps that is enough, but not more than enough.

Staff meetings! No, I do not think that I will miss them at all. (Thank God that we do not have that OFSTED garbage here in China, but we do have something silly and time-wasting called CIS Accreditation.) However, Chinese students are absolutely lovely, polite and hard-working. Yes, I think that I will miss them a lot.

plot71 likes this.
  8. Startedin82

Startedin82 Occasional commenter

Will you have any pension from your time in China?

9. PeterQuint

PeterQuint Established commenter

Looking forward to reading this.

Keep us all up to date.

10. Alldone

Alldone Established commenter

Been retired two years now and love it. Have several friends who retired around the same time as me and a lot of them have purchased motor homes so they can spend extended periods touring Europe. I don't like driving so it doesn't appeal to me, but we love being able to go on holiday whenever we want to - especially when the schools have gone back and it is a lot cheaper. Understand the parent's thing. One of the main reasons for living in the UK after working in the Chemical Industry overseas, was the fact that my parents were in the UK. Just planning a short break for September - Portugal this time.

Startedin82 likes this.
  11. Startedin82

We went to Portugal for the first time this summer - loved it. Saw that Ryanair were offering flights to Faro for £59 return in September - rather less than we paid in August (being not yet retired!). Enjoy.

plot71 likes this.
  12. Alldone

Alldone Established commenter

Wow - that sounds a good deal. We did a cheap Summer holiday this year to Benidorm and stayed in the old town. Thing is we went before the schools broke up (went first week in July) so everything was pretty good value. We watched a TV program recently, where Rick Stein went to Portugal and showed some fantastic food.

plot71 and Startedin82 like this.
  13. binaryhex

binaryhex Established commenter

Sept / Oct / May / June are great months for really cheap flights and holidays all over Europe and North Africa. The weather is usually perfect.
    Nov to Feb are great months for Asia.
    Feb / Mar are great months for heading to the mountains in Europe for skiing.
    April and the Summer months are good months for the .U.K. esp Scotland.

14. Startedin82

I have heard that Benidorm's old town is lovely.

In Portugal (this was the Algarve) the food in the touristy areas seemed to be what you get anywhere in Europe now - pizza, steak, pasta etc. However, there are Portugese restaurants around if you want the authentic experience.

Alldone likes this.
  15. Startedin82

Brilliant if you're retired!

16. happilyconfused2

happilyconfused2 New commenter

Yep me too. Final year, 56 in July with 15 years service. Fortunate enough to have a good pension which kicks in from a private scheme when I am 60 as well as TPS. I will use savings between 56 and 60.

It does mean that during all the MAT training sessions where we are told where we are going wrong I will just nod and think of what I will be doing this time next year

17. seasoned

seasoned New commenter

Well I'm counting down to Christmas 2017 when I will be taking early retirement at the age of 58 after 35 years in the profession. I'm really looking forward to the next stage of my life; I've enjoyed my teaching career but I've lost the passion and drive to make a difference. I think I'll take some ' time out' and then maybe at some stage seek a part time role - but not teaching..!! Exciting times....

18. catinthehat123

catinthehat123 New commenter

Madness / boredom / hate kids and their behaviour / hate the workload has started to set in so retiring at Christmas aged 55 and four fifths and resigning on Monday - the letter is written, signed, sealed and in the jacket pocket. The idea hopefully is that everyone will know that I don't give a flying frig anymore so not to bother me with anything except teaching stuff. If anyone gets the wrong idea, I am going to do a lot of nodding and saying yes, whilst mentally giving whoever the middle finger!

bevdex, stopwatch and plot71 like this.
  19. Jesmond12

Jesmond12 Star commenter

31st August = last official day for many of us.

1st September = first day of retirement:)

bevdex, plot71 and Startedin82 like this.
  20. the hippo

the hippo Established commenter Community helper

I managed to buy some extra years of pension to cover some of the time while I have been teaching overseas. Well, I have done a fair chunk of teaching in the UK, but my pension will be quite a bit smaller than what I would get if I had stayed in the UK. On the other hand, being overseas has meant that I have been able to put aside some savings and I probably could not have done that in the UK.