1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Countdown to retirement!

Discussion in 'Personal' started by BelleDuJour, Jun 11, 2019.

1. dleaf12

dleaf12 Senior commenter

Belle: Just a question...............should I tell Head of House about the 'Kill List'?

Defo... and your school "Prevent" liason... it all makes work for the workin' man to do!

2. catmother

catmother Star commenter

3 weeks left and it feels like this will never end. There is light at the end of the tunnel but it seems so near and yet so far.

BelleDuJour and MAGAorMIGA like this.
  3. catmother

catmother Star commenter

Yes, you should.

suzuki1690 and EmanuelShadrack like this.
  4. Aquamarina1234

Aquamarina1234 Star commenter

Yes, definitely.

suzuki1690 and EmanuelShadrack like this.
  5. Shedman

Shedman Star commenter

Should you ever have any doubts about leaving teaching, just remember this day (amongst many others I'm sure) and all those doubts will disappear in a flash.

6. Shedman

Shedman Star commenter

Yes definitely. It may be nothing other than teenage angst but you have seen a student prepare a 'kill list' of people. You do not know what this student is capable of or how far their plans have progressed. Should this student carry out any atrocity, no matter how remote the probability, then you could be held to account for not reporting it.

7. Ivartheboneless

Ivartheboneless Star commenter

Those who are counting down, keep at it. Soon it will all be over. After a year the nightmares won't be so bad. After two even better. After three you might only remember the good bits, if there were any. Try not to have any regrets. Even the biggest and smelliest of turds eventually break down and get recycled into something useful.

bevdex, Marshall and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  8. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

5 weeks here......................seems like 50!!!!
    I will report the 'kill list' but I doubt anything will be done about it.

9. catmother

catmother Star commenter

Probably not but you will be protecting yourself. If that kid does something next week,next month,next year,you don't want to be the teacher who saw something and did not report it.

10. BelleDuJour

True.

11. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

You could log in as an administrator, add 'We know all about your Kill List' at the top of the kill list, re-save it then log out. :)

On a more serious note, report it, if only just to stir up some sh*te for management and test their numerous policies and protocols.

Lara mfl 05, Shedman and BelleDuJour like this.
  12. Shedman

Shedman Star commenter

And stir up some sh*te for the student as well. Kill lists are just not acceptable.

nizebaby likes this.
  13. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

Bare minimum, the child in question is surely breaching the school ICT network's acceptable use policy, so that should lead to a network ban. It'll be interesting to see if that actually happens though, as most such policies aren't worth the paper they're printed on. It'll make an interesting test case.

I was banned from the school's ICT network as an ICT teacher for refusing to sign a badly-written and contradictory acceptable use policy. After a fortnight without computer access I was instructed by the HT to sign it or face disciplinary action. Nobody actually thought to consider an experienced ICT teacher's misgivings about it. Consequently I remain very cynical about their effectiveness.

BelleDuJour and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  14. BelleDuJour

I shall report 'kill list' on Monday.
    I'll let you know what (doesn't) happen!

15. josienig

josienig Senior commenter

5 weeks will go by and you will be free :)

Please do report the 'kill list'..it is probably something and nothing as these things usually are and when it is investigated the situation will sort itself out.

But..(and I know this is completely stretching your scenario)

There is a case in Ireland where writings in a 13 year old boy's( Boy A) copybook were admitted into evidence in a murder trial.
    He and another 13 year old ( Boy B) were found guilty this week of the murder, and in the case of the Boy A, of sexual assault, of a 14 year old girl.

catmother likes this.
  16. catmother

catmother Star commenter

Indeed. You don't want to be the teacher whose name is the papers as " pupil X says that Mrs Belle saw pupil A writing the list on the computer and did nothing about it "

17. BelleDuJour

Indeed.
    Will 0deal with this first thing tomorrow.

Dragonlady30 and catmother like this.
  18. BelleDuJour

Well......I've reported the kill list but not heard anything yet.
    I shall not hold my breath.

alison_wain12 likes this.
  19. MAGAorMIGA

MAGAorMIGA Star commenter

Great news. Next academic year consists of only 193 teaching days, instead of 195. I have 600 days left!

Lara mfl 05 and BelleDuJour like this.
  20. nomad

nomad Star commenter

And I shall enjoy every one of them being retired. :D:p