1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Countdown to retirement!

Discussion in 'Personal' started by BelleDuJour, Jun 11, 2019.

1. dleaf12

dleaf12 Lead commenter

This got me to thinking.... if you DID do this you would most likely be carping on a young innocent ex-PGCE-er and moreover giving the SMT (SubMedianTeacher ??) more ammunition for their nonsense...

... which then prompted an alternative idea...

At the last possible minute, input massively DEFLATED grades...

It will focus the ordure where it belongs... imagine the SMT-bot anguish caused by that shining red cell on the "Put this Teacher on Capability" spreadsheet next to your name and they wont be able to do a thing about it...

...and the fun goes on next year when they do your successors performance review... all those kids who will suddenly make "better than the average" progress...
    ....and they'll never know why...

... but we will, won't we readers....;)

2. smoothnewt

smoothnewt Star commenter

When my HoD job was advertised last year we had not a single applicant.

When it was re-advertised we had only one applicant we could realistically consider: a late entrant to the profession who, whilst they had potential, had not taught long enough to have taken a class through GCSE and had no A Level teaching experience.

They got the job. It was that or nobody.

:(

fraisier and BelleDuJour like this.
  3. Shedman

Shedman Star commenter

Three years to go after this year then?

4. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

This is so much the norm now.
    If the candidate has a pulse they get the job.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  5. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

Best thing I ever did was to retire, I did go back for a year to cover maternity leave. I trained to teach cookery and needlework, not that stupid 'Design a biscuit to sell in a supermarket' idiocy. Kids need to be taught the basics of cookery because, sadly, they're not taught to cook at home.

6. BelleDuJour

That is so true.
    And now food 'tech' has been taken off A level.
    Sad times.

SundaeTrifle and Shedman like this.
  7. Shedman

Shedman Star commenter

And two of the three exam boards that used to offer A-level Electronics have abandoned it, probably because of the low number of students who took it each year so they didn't make enough profit. When the electronics teacher in my old school left they scrapped the subject. Electronics, you'd have thought there'd be some future and value in that but no.

SundaeTrifle and BelleDuJour like this.
  8. fraisier

fraisier Established commenter

That’s when schools have to advertise them at all that is (non HoD positions I mean). Increasingly often in MFL they don’t bother, the position is scrapped altogether (or part-timed) after a bit of departmental or school-wide "tour de passe-passe", schoolcraft (a big of magic, a sleight of hand, a bit of the old legerdemain - I like that word, funny origins, eg my school has gone from 9 F/T jobs in the late 1990s to only about 5 now, 3 FTs and several PTs; in the same period, a school near us has gone from 7 FT MFL positions, with a vibrant dpt etc., to 2½ today and a moribund dpt, no foreign exchanges anymore, no MLF assistants etc. MFL was made optional in 2004 of course at GCSE level, so a decrease in MFL teachers was always going to happen but still, the further gradual loss of status of MFL in addition to making it optional has driven those dramatic changes).

Last edited: Jun 14, 2019
  9. MAGAorMIGA

MAGAorMIGA Star commenter

Yes - if I survive that long!

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  10. fraisier

3 more years in theory for me but I'm lucky enough to be able to call it quits anytime really, and I'm 0.6 now so it's much easier. I still won't go to the bitter end (60), probably another 2 years and basta, with possibly the last year on 0.4.

But then again, a few weeks ago, I only wanted to do an extra year so who knows, I might retire next Xmas! I'd hate to let the kids down half-way through the year though, especially the exam years obviously not because I think I'm irreplaceable (obviously I am but that's beside the point :D) but because I know from experience that they're likely to struggle to get a teacher to fill in my boots at short notice and I don't want the kids to bear the brunt for the failings of our system. As a compromise, because I know it can happen, I've only asked for 1 Yr11 class and only 2 hours of A level this year, just in case I feel like flouncing off at Xmas!

suzuki1690 and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  11. smoothnewt

@fraisier
    The HoD position I referred to was MFL, as it happens.
    In the case of my school most students continued with MFL up to GCSE, so the department was relatively strong: seven teachers plus a full-time French assistant and annual German assistant supplied by the British Council.
    On paper it ought to have been an attractive proposition...

12. smoothnewt

You are absolutely right. It was with that prospect in mind that I handed in my notice in the November for retirement the following July.
    It made no difference in the end.

fraisier likes this.
  13. monicabilongame

monicabilongame Star commenter

Bat out of hell, for me.

14. fraisier

Quite, a very attractive proposition on paper, no doubt about it. I work in an average+ school in terms of results and rep so we struggle to attract more than a handful of applicants across the subject spectrum (no applicant isn't rare, neither is having to re-advertise a position 3 times before giving up and applying a bit of internal "magic" - reorganisation, doubling up of classes, increase of class sizes, scrapping of subject/modules etc.- to avoid filling the vacant post, or we rely on a constant stream of longer-term Supply Agency teachers who stay anything from a month to 1 year+ and plug the many gaps).

The situation is dire really, even attractive schools can't get more than a handful of applicants these days. A very attractive looking (outstanding-rated) school near me also struggle terribly, especially for sciences but even for even MFL they rarely receive more than 4 half-decent applications and it's getting very hard for them too to retain them afterwards as many NQTs seem to use that school as a springboard, they get a few years behind their belt, make sure they get good results at GCSE & A Level and use that to apply to independent schools or good schools abroad before they reach 30 roughly. In other schools nearby with a lesser rep, the same NQTs who last 3-4 years leave teaching altogether.

It is depressing and while I shouldn't particularly give much of a s.hit personally as I'll be out of it very soon, teaching was my calling from very early on (13-14 y-old) so it greatly saddens and angers me in equal measures.

Lara mfl 05 and smoothnewt like this.
  15. fraisier

"under" their belt of course... :oops:

@smoothnewt. What are your MFL trainee teachers like in general quality-wise and do you manage to keep your NQTs more than, say, 5 years?

(I must toddle off now but will be back on Sunday probably).

16. BelleDuJour

NQTs and teacher traineees tend to be poor quality theses days. Most trainees only do the course to get the tax free bursary in ahortgage subjects, and have no intention of becoming a teacher.

17. Lelly64

Lelly64 New commenter

I am MFL as it happens. When I retire in 6 weeks I am not being replaced. My school was a “Language College” when that was a thing. “Languages for all” was our mantra and all pupils did either GCSE or NVQ. When the government decided that NVQ would not be counted in the league tables, we were no longer allowed to offer it to our less able pupils, who coped well with the modular assessments. The new GCSE is really not accessible to all, so Languages have become an Option, recommended for the more able. This makes me sad.

18. Crowbob

Crowbob Senior commenter

I am disappointed to read you making such generalisations about NQTs and trainees :( If we are into generalisations, the past generation does tend to lament the quality of the next in all professions. Such weary cynicism is sad to witness and not terribly constructive. Is there evidence that 'most' do it to get the tax free bursary?

On the other hand, I wish you all the best on your impending retirement.

19. BelleDuJour

Yes. The evidence is the number I have seen go through training never to enter the classroom as a teacher.
    If I were offered £30,000 tax free to train, with no golden handcuff, I'd do it. It's a lot more than you can earn as an NQT!
    And the quality is not good...........because there are so few wanting to teach you can get into teacher training with little more than a pulse! I've seen the entry requirements fall over the quarter of a centuryI've been in the profession, and few new graduates want to be teachers.
    It is truly lamentable.

20. baitranger

baitranger Established commenter

The quality of NQT's is probably poor because they have emerged from their "degrees" taken at "universities" that they got into with A levels that had been subject to decades of grade inflation. The "universities" themselves have created massive degree grade inflation, giving out firsts with great generosity so that a "first" now means very little from many institutions.I wonder what percentage of NQT's come from Russell Group universities these days.
    "At 10 institutions more than 90 per cent of students managed to attain the two highest degree classes, while at almost a quarter of the country’s universities at least 30 per cent of those graduating got a first."
    https://www.timeshighereducation.com/news/universities-biggest-shares-21s-and-firsts-revealed

border_walker and BelleDuJour like this.