1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Countdown to retirement!

Discussion in 'Personal' started by BelleDuJour, Jun 11, 2019.

1. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

And one on here if I remember correctly. ;)

Shedman and MAGAorMIGA like this.
  2. Aquamarina1234

Aquamarina1234 Star commenter

Nah, the data manager!

3. Jesmond12

Jesmond12 Star commenter

I had forgotten that one:)
    It is now 648 days since I retired!

4. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

Nearly 10 years ago for me. My exit music in the car was Elbow - One day like this - full blast.

5. friedgreentomatoes

friedgreentomatoes Lead commenter

"Pesky kids", surely?!

6. Aquamarina1234

I think it changed between series?

7. Aquamarina1234

Fuuny how songs take you right back somewhere, innit. I'd like my musical memories to be a bit more profound but for the last ten years it's Terry Wogan who dictated most of them. "Drops of Jupiter", "It's Been Awhile", "Bohemian Like You", "Always On Your Side", "Closest Thing To Crazy" - they're what connect me to jobs and events. Since he departed I never put the radio on for the commute. Admittedly I probably tried to blank out my present job, but henceforth "Already Gone" will be the theme, speshly as I'm seeing The Eagles in a fortnight.:D:D:D

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  8. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Been meaning to say this for a while, but it's really good to see you posting 'in real time' Aquamarina. :D

9. Lelly64

Lelly64 New commenter

I am also leaving in 7 weeks. I’ve managed 33 years in teaching, which I think is pretty amazing tbh. I have worked with some fabulous colleagues over years and indeed some brilliant kids. God, I’m starting to well up! When I think of the terrible meddling that’s ruining the State Education system in this country it makes me want to weep.
    It really is time for me to go!

10. Aquamarina1234

Thank you! It does stop identical posts 36hrs apart!

11. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

Hope it all passes by with indecent haste;):)

12. MAGAorMIGA

MAGAorMIGA Star commenter

I too am on the retirement countdown. 613 working days to go!

13. MAGAorMIGA

MAGAorMIGA Star commenter

I hope education's loss is this forum's gain, if retirement gives you more time to post more of your thoughtful, interesting contributions, NMT. I always enjoy them.

14. bajan

bajan Occasional commenter

Belle your post really made me laugh but at the same time I feel quite sad and angry things have come to this in education. I came into teaching quite late and used to read posts from people who knew their craft, Belle being one of them. Such a waste to education.

oldsomeman, dleaf12 and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  15. TCSC47

TCSC47 Star commenter

16. TCSC47

TCSC47 Star commenter

Rock on, Belle!

BelleDuJour likes this.
  17. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

That was probably The Famous Five - you know, four kids and a dog who solve mysteries... argh, deja vu. :)

friedgreentomatoes likes this.
  18. smoothnewt

smoothnewt Star commenter

I’m coming to the end of my first year of retirement and it’s been wonderful! Enjoy the countdown all who are finishing this summer.

A departmental colleague sometimes phones me for a rant. When I hear what unbelievably bad decisions are being taken by the SLT with regard to the curriculum in our subject - and I do mean ludicrously, pedagogically unsound, such that anybody with a modicum of background in the subject would fall slack-jawed in disbelief, (and all this in an attempt to preempt Ofsted’s new framework) - I get so angry that if I were still working there I would find the situation totally untenable and have to walk away, for my own sanity!

Lelly64, eljefeb90 and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  19. Marshall

Marshall Star commenter

I totally agree!

Missbubbleblue and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  20. ROSIEGIRL

ROSIEGIRL Senior commenter

I retired 3 years ago. I didn't hate my job, though aspects of it irritated me quite a bit and I knew it wasn't the job I joined up for, all those years ago.

I would never have claimed to be a particularly 'child centred' teacher, if that makes sense, but in the final years of my career I found myself constantly really worrying about the effects of what we were doing to the kids. All those bureaucratic changes that somehow left the health and well being of the kids out of the equation. I knew we were actually damaging some children and turning a lot of them off learning, probably for life. And as a primary teacher, that was the exact opposite of what I wanted to do.

I love retirement. I feel so free, to do what I want, when I want. I am also definitely much healthier and have a new circle of friends, though I do still miss my old colleagues.

Good luck to anyone coming up to retirement this term. Enjoy it!