1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Countdown to retirement!

Discussion in 'Personal' started by BelleDuJour, Jun 11, 2019.

1. bevdex

bevdex Star commenter

Today's the day! Goodbye tension , hello pension!

2. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

:D Now that deserves a
    [​IMG]

Dragonlady30 and smoothnewt like this.
  3. Lara mfl 05

You know I never thought I'd enjoy retirement, but now it's here and I've adjusted, there's no way I'd go back. As I found recently when a former colleague mooted about going part-time and wanting a job-share. I honestly thought 'No way!'. :D

As we were discussing only yesterday, it's not so much retirement, but losing a partner and being lonely which is far more impacting. :( there's only so much 'visiting friends and occupying one's days one can do, when at the end of them one goes home to an empty house with no-one to talk to and discuss what you've been doing. :(

smoothnewt likes this.
  4. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

B0ll0x to that I say!

5. BelleDuJour

So, woke up this morning at usual time 6.40.
    Turned over and went back to sleep.
    Mr Belle bought cup of tea and dogs upstairs at 7.45.
    Today is the first day of the rest of my life...........work can do one!!!

6. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

I think they do have a point to some degree, especially for people who go from full time intensive work to nothing and don't have any or many interests to replace it with as they've been so busy working.

The Judy Dench example is somewhat insulting.

Elderly actress - work as and when an interesting enough job comes up, turn up and find yourself treated like royalty by all and sundry hanging on your every word and hoping to pick up some gems of wisdom should you deign to notice their existence. "She spoke to me and gave me some great advice, I'm so excited!". If things get a bit much, I suspect the schedule will revolve around your needs to some extent as you are pivotal to the whole process.

Elderly teacher - strict and unwavering t/t which you have no control over, you work when you have to and do what you are given to do. Many other staff see you as a dinosaur, despite the sage advice you offer and disasters you quietly help to avert that no-one else saw coming. You get no credit for these and many are more than happy to take the credit on your behalf. Most staff ignore you and marvel why there is someone of that age still in the school when clearly younger staff are so much more capable. If things get a bit much, you will have a plan put in place to aid you leave as soon as they can legally get rid.

7. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

You wont stay that way long as something else moves in and takes up your time,lol
    Mines called a wife!

Dragonlady30 and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  8. nizebaby

nizebaby Star commenter

Good on you, Belle. Don't pay any attention to miserable old g1ts!

BelleDuJour and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  9. Lara mfl 05

Oh Belle's already started her new enterprise to keep her busy olds (@oldsomeman), but she can set her own hours and decide when /how much to work. :D

10. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

There's nothing wrong with working to earn a crust beyond pension age if you've chosen to do it, if you enjoy doing it, and better still if you're in total control of it.

Keeping brain and body usefully occupied is the key to the next bit, whether there's money to be made from it or not.

It's working for the metaphorical 'man' that does most people's heads in.

Lara mfl 05 and catmother like this.
  11. red_observer

red_observer Star commenter

Good luck sounds nice!

nizebaby, Lara mfl 05 and BelleDuJour like this.
  12. BelleDuJour

Off on holibobs later today................Majorca..
    Love the place.
    And after this one we can go out of term time so cheaper and no kids!!!!
    Already booked for early October.....

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  13. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

Getting twitchy, yet?

14. Mrsmumbles

Mrsmumbles Star commenter

All well in the best of all possible worlds; that being the one where you don’t teach anymore and are even happier than our current Chancellor of the Duchy of Lancaster. Who is truly stellar, obviously....o_O