1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Countdown to retirement!

Discussion in 'Personal' started by BelleDuJour, Jun 11, 2019.

1. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

So.......7 weeks to go then I'm out of teaching!
    To say I am counting the days would be the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth.
    So far this week I have suffered the usual heap of pointless activities foisted upon me:
    1. Totally pointless meetings involving various members of staff uploading different versions of the specification, cut and pasted and given fancy names like 'knowledge organisers' or 'curriculum maps' in order for SMT to tick more boxes and cling on to the greasy pole for another year. The students may stick these in their books but they do s0d all with them.
    2. Been told their is a teacher snoop about to happen (aka 'book scrutiny') so SMT can tell us how carp our marking is. But they've told us which books they are after so we simply collect them in and mark those books to the point of madness.
    3. Re-invented the wheel yet again, under the guise of a 'new initiative'
    4. Narrowly avoided gouging out my eyeballs with a teaspoon to avoid the misery of another pointless, tedious assembly.
    5. Held my own sweepstake over how many times I've muttered F F S since Monday.
    6. Dreaded the arrival of bottom set year 10 containing one lanky streak of pi55 who's as much use as a chocolate fireguard, on flubber so idle he wouldn't pee on himself if on fire, two t@rts with skirts so short I can see their breakfast, and nails so long they qualify as offensive weapons, and wondering how on earth I can hold their attention for a nanosecond, never mind an hour. All this and a HoD who thinks they've achieved well if they've written the title and date and expecting anything other than that is setting my standards too high......
    7. Played the data game..........................again.

The job is not what I trained to do 25 years ago.
    The golden age of teaching has gone................and sadly has been largely forgotten which is why so many teachers put up with the carp they do.
    I honestly cannot wait to retire.

.................................and this is an 'outstanding' school :(

2. Geoff Thomas

Geoff Thomas Star commenter

My God!

It's 23 years since I last taught.

It was already in decline by then.

nizebaby, MAGAorMIGA, Lelly64 and 4 others like this.
  3. Ivartheboneless

Ivartheboneless Star commenter

It is three years since I gave up when daughter had sprog 2, he has just had his third birthday and sprog three AKA Baby Boneless is now 7 and a half months!

4. dleaf12

dleaf12 Senior commenter

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D
    That made me try to inhale and exhale tea all at once!!! (Spoiler Alert: It doesnt work!)

But hey - Well done for being yet another "Teaching Survivor" those 7 weeks will fly by and real life can begin again.... start thinking about what you'll do first!

5. Aquamarina1234

Aquamarina1234 Star commenter

Well I beat you to by 13 yrs, Belle, but I too am leaving my tedious, pointless, edudata-based job this summer, and having made that decision, slept soundly through the night for the first time in months! They could train a pigeon to peck at the keyboard and still come out with data that's about as useful.

6. BelleDuJour

Nail on the head! That's the truth about data................

7. catmother

catmother Star commenter

4 weeks for me as I'm in Scotland and we finish before English schools. Counting the days too. The plan was to go at 60,I've made it to 57. Enough.

8. catmother

catmother Star commenter

Well done! Looking after the girlies full time?

agathamorse and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  9. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

[​IMG]

It's actually more rewarding if you count the hours.

10. foxtail3

foxtail3 Star commenter

You’ll have plenty of time for all your other activities then Belle.

I expect to see you on more cookery programmes on the box, as well as creating your wonderful confections.

11. NoseyMatronType

NoseyMatronType Lead commenter

I am leaving too at the end of term. I still have two and a half years to go but have enough money saved by living a frugal life (no holiday since 2005) to do so.

This isn’t one of the top reasons for my departure but the reforms to the new A level I teach are a factor. There are 18 topics to revise for each of three papers making a staggering 54 in total. Each paper examines up to 5 of them. So what did they do this year? Two of the topics that came up in one paper had been asked about last year.

Plus, three years into teaching a syllabus that is crammed with content just for the hell of it (thanks to Gove’s reforms) there are still no designated, approved textbooks.

I am fortunate to be working in a school where the SMT wouldn’t have been looking to ease me out on the basis of one bad set of results. In fact, last year they were fine.

But the top-down, micro-management thing and the daft initiatives thing are both becoming incrementally more omnipresent. So I am out.

12. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Put in massively over-inflated data just so whoever follows on from you has to meet your grades or suffer the consequences! Eventually the whole school will be predicting grade 9+!

Then rub your hands together and cackle.

13. BelleDuJour

I am liking that idea rather more than I probably should lol!

14. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

I always said I was going to write my last set of reports before retirement in a very special way. I was going to make sure the first letter of each line when read vertically down the page told the actual succinct truth about the child. Trouble was they introduced statement banking so that was a complete non-starter.

I suggest you go for the Scooby Doo ending @BelleDuJour - On the last day you're dragged out to a waiting Police car in a straitjacket babbling "My plans could have succeeded if hadn't been for you meddling kids!"

Shedman, Geoff Thomas, blazer and 8 others like this.
  15. primarycat

primarycat Star commenter

Doesn't that also mean pulling the mask off the head of the caretaker?

16. catmother

catmother Star commenter

I was thinking of going all Games of Thrones on the last day but maybe it's a bit much?

[​IMG]

17. primarycat

primarycat Star commenter

Never. Just park your dragon on the playground.

18. BelleDuJour

I'm just going to leg it when the bell goes. No leaving speech. No falseness. No gift I don't want. No card signed by loads of people who don't know who I am.
    Just going......................

19. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

I was 70 when I retired, although mainly on supply.I was in primary and survived.I missed the children terribly when I got retired, but by the sound of it Belle you wont be LOl

MAGAorMIGA and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  20. Jesmond12

Jesmond12 Star commenter

I had three different counts clearly on view in my office. All colour coded and fastidiously completed each morning.

Good luck with the last few weeks.

MAGAorMIGA and Lara mfl 05 like this.