1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

counselling - what happens?

Discussion in 'Health and wellbeing' started by daisycat, Jul 31, 2011.

1. daisycat

daisycat New commenter

Hi I am hoping that someone is able to put me at ease a little.
    Would someone be able to explain what happens as I am really nervous about going as I have never discussed the problems that I had whilst growing up.
    Thanks.

2. daisycat

daisycat New commenter

Hi I am hoping that someone is able to put me at ease a little.
    Would someone be able to explain what happens as I am really nervous about going as I have never discussed the problems that I had whilst growing up.
    Thanks.

3. lilachardy

lilachardy Star commenter

Well, basically you sit and talk... sometimes you talk more, sometimes the counsellor talks more...
    I've cried, I've laughed, I've been silly, I've done all sorts of things at counselling.
    It's not as hippy-dippy as you might imagine.
    I started with my most recent counsellor by making a list of things I wasn't ok with - and she worked out which one she could tackle first.

I'm not sure that helps you?

4. My experience was that it was all very civilised!

I had an inital consultation which was where I explained why I had made appointment. It went OK - I basically talked about what had brought me to this point and things which I thought had led there.
    There was no "counselling" at that point just me outlining what had happened and what I expected/hoped counselling would give me.
    After that I went weekly and I talked and the counsellor asked me questions which challenged ideas or beliefs I had. I was sometimes given tasks to do at home (record in a diary, try to behave in a slightly differnt way to "normal" in a given situation) but never anything too challenging.
    Anyway it worked for me and I am incredibly glad I went.
    Good luck. JRT x

5. That's exactly how it was for me. It was, without doubt, the best thing I ever did.
    Good luck. Cx

6. daisycat

daisycat New commenter

Thanks.
    I thought that talking would be involved. I just get a bit worried as I find it really difficult to talk about things that have happened although I know that I need to before things can get better.

7. Yes, it can be difficult and you should expect to have a good blub. A counsellor cannot make hurt go away but he/she will help you to understand your feelings and help you devise coping strategies. I found it all very cathartic and although I still have some "ishoos" now recognise the feelings for what they are and can cope with them.
    Don't be afraid. It can change your life - it did mine.

8. lilachardy

lilachardy Star commenter

I found it really helfpul to say "I find it very difficult to say it out loud".
    The counsellor will respond to this and help you find a way forwards.

9. daisycat

daisycat New commenter

Thanks.
    I will let you know how it goes.

10. daisycat

daisycat New commenter

Having stressed for weeks over what was involved in counselling I went along to what I thought was the 1st session.
    The lady that I saw went through all of the options and then said there is a very long waiting list for counselling - you could be waiting for at least 3 months!
    I think that I will find someone on my own and pay them as I can't go on the way that I am at them moment.

11. Torey

Torey Occasional commenter

You can get time limited sessions from OH and that could cover you until the NHS ones start.

12. daisycat I did that - my doctors offered me 6 free sessions during the day time which was no use to me so I found my own therapist and then went along in the evenings or on a saturday morning. I began immediately which was what I needed and it also meant I wasn't spending any time building up the idea of counselling in my head.

13. daisycat

daisycat New commenter

I arranged to see a private counseller and went for the 1st time today. Was very different from the last experience and although we didn't discuss the main problem I feel a lot more positive about going.
    Thanks to everyone for their support and advice.