1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Counselling but unqualified

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by Catlover1974, Oct 18, 2019.

Tags:
  1. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

Let's get the specifics then.

What has she been asked to do?

What are her aims and objectives?

What is the stated role?

2. CWadd

CWadd Star commenter

I think its already been posted that the OP should get the specifics to check this isn't a misuse of the word counselling by others.

Some people may be happy to counsel kids. I am not - because it can, without proper training, make things worse. Some people are. Good for them. No doubt this makes them a better person than me. Call it whatever you like, sitting kids with problems with someone untrained can make things a thousand times worse.

If the OP wants to come back with specifics, she's welcome.

She hasn't.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2019
    agathamorse likes this.
  3. Doitforfree

Doitforfree Star commenter

An unqualified 'counsellor' worked at my sons' school. She was thick as, and did quite a lot of harm to one child I know. A child that needs counselling is very vulnerable and certainly doesn't need the well meant help of an untrained person.

4. caress

caress New commenter

I concur. You could end up well over your head with complex issues and no training to deal with them. The school's penny-pinching could actually cause real harm. I would not let the word "counselling" be used for this work but perhaps "mentoring" or "circle time"

jlishman2158 and agathamorse like this.