1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Counselling and teaching sports?

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by theschoolcounsellor, Dec 17, 2019.

1. theschoolcounsellor

theschoolcounsellor New commenter

Hello,

I've recently seen a School Counsellor position I'm interested in. However, the school has specified that they would be particularly interested in candidates who can also coach sports teams. As I am unable to do this, is it worth while applying or would I be wasting my time?

Thanks

2. percy topliss

percy topliss Established commenter

Without wishing to be too rude, are you completely unable to talk to kids about sport? Because the coaching of sports teams can range from U11 girls friendly soccer to Varsity Basketball with all of the other sports and levels in between. If I were you I should get in touch with them and ask exactly what they want. After all what do you have to lose?

Ho ho ho...

Perce

3. taiyah

taiyah Occasional commenter

As a school counselor do you not explore the opportunities students can have in attaining sports/athletic scholarships?

As a school counselor do you not see the benefits of being involved in sports/athletic related extra-curricular or ASA?

Must say this is something I'm in awe with when it comes to our American and Canadian colleagues male or female. They get themselves involved without an email being sent. It's so automatic to them, which is not surprising considering they grew up with it, public or privately educated. Such a good trait to have.... Whilst others are so pathologically allergic to it.

4. T0nyGT

T0nyGT Lead commenter

It is a very American request. And it's certainly fair to say you'd be 'unable' to do it. I'm sure OP doesn't mean they'd be physically unable to do it, just that they don't have an interest or aptitude in any particular sport. I'm sure there are plenty of excellent school councilors who have no sports expertise.

It's worth asking as mentioned above. If they're looking for someone who's willing to step outside their comfort zone then that's fine. If they're looking for someone with international lacrosse coaching experience then that's a different thing.

5. stopwatch

stopwatch Lead commenter

As others have said,this doesn't have to be a major role eg Head Coach of the swimming team, but could be e.g. recreational badminton/table tennis. Alternatively, if there is another area of their 'extra mural programme' you can contribute towards eg chess club/creative writing/orchestra, you could offer that.