1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

CouldI use storytelling to teach expression?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by goobylou, Nov 15, 2011.

1. I am really struggling about a storytelling activity I have on Friday. I am going to have a piece of text on the IWB and read it through in a monotinious voice. I will then ask the children if it was interesting (hopefully no) I will then give the children the same text and in groups they will read it how they think it should be read - picking out clues from the text. I only have 15minutes and not sure whether this is strictly story telling? Any help?

2. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

No it isn't.

Storytelling is where you 'tell' them a story, not read one. And they learn to 'tell' the story nor read it as well.

If you have only 15 mins I assume this is for an interview and that you have been asked to do storytelling.

Google Pie Corbett and get some ideas from the linked sites.

3. I would choose a very familiar story like the three little pigs and step out the story with the children using actions as you tell it. Pie Corbett has some suggested actions which go with storytelling and traditional tales. Either that or retell a less familiar short story with simple repeated actions the children can start to join in with. I depends on the age but mine love me telling stories like the Hairy Toe where they put in all the sound effects (like doors creaking open etc) and join in with the repeated bits. You could even take simple musical instruments and ask the children to help you tell the story but choosing an instrument to represent part of the story during the telling (a drum for the gingerbread man running etc).