1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Could you make this up?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Duke of York, Nov 19, 2018.

1. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news...old-for-scrap-at-300000-loss?CMP=share_btn_tw

"Three unusable water cannon bought by Boris Johnson when he was mayor of London have been sold for scrap, at a net loss of more than £300,000.

Johnson bought the crowd-control vehicles from the German police in 2014, in anticipation of social unrest, without checking whether they could be used on London’s streets. In one of his most humiliating episodes as mayor the then home secretary Theresa May banned them from use anywhere in England and Wales. It left the capital’s taxpayers with three expensive white elephants.

The 25-year-old vehicles cost £85,022 in 2014, but they were found to be riddled with faults and required expensive modification to make them roadworthy. This included £32,000 to comply with the city’s low emission zone"

It's a shame the garden bridge was cancelled, ain't it? They could have been used to water the plants.

2. Ivartheboneless

Ivartheboneless Star commenter

Charge it directly to Boris, along with the cost of the vanity bridge.

3. stopwatch

stopwatch Lead commenter

There should be some kind of personal culpability clause directly attributed to the individual/s who action these kind of decisions.

It is like the Boris's of this world are playing some kind of childlike monopoly game with the nations money. The next one will be the cancellation of HS2.

It is disgusting

4. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

They could have been given to NI since they can be used over here.

5. Duke of York

Sadiq Khan says they tried his best to flog them, but even after a fortune had been spent making them roadworthy and compliant with legislation, they couldn't find anyone as gullible as Bozo who wanted to buy them, other than fascist dictators, needing tools to suppress dissent.

What might we learn from this?

Alice K likes this.
  6. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

I was thinking more along the lines of pointing them directly at Boris as he jogs over the vanity bridge. :)

Interesting timing of that story's release don't you think? Insurance policy against him piping up about you-know-what?

7. Orkrider2

Orkrider2 Star commenter

8. Duke of York

I would say it's poor timing, since had the story been exposed before the referendum, his recklessness and idiotic behaviour with taxpayers' money, might have made the nation more sceptical about the BS he was spouting over Brexit.

I'd go further and call it an absolute disgrace that such a person, contemptible on so many levels, was ever able to be fast-tracked by the Conservative Party into office, on the whim that a buffoon would bring an exciting fresh face to a party that prior to Thatcher, could be trusted.

9. nomad

nomad Star commenter

The water cannon Mr Johnson bought cost £322,000 to purchase second-hand and then refit. Costs included £32,004 for low emission zone compliance (well, I guess that is acceptable), £19,035 for re-painting (rather high, IMO), £3,109 for signage (eh?? :eek:), and £970 for the fitting of radios and CD players (Give over!! o_O).

10. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

The English prefer bullets
    The English prefer bullets for rioters?

11. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

Rioters outside England.

12. Bobbbs

Bobbbs Occasional commenter

So there's no need for it in London. Ever. No protests ever get out of hand down there. Nope. It's a paradise.

13. peakster

peakster Star commenter

They would never get through the London traffic

14. sparkleghirl

sparkleghirl Star commenter

Folly, selling it off, just before a diasterous brexit deal with the army making plans to be on the streets and shortages of food and medicines feared.

15. TCSC47

TCSC47 Star commenter

I've mentioned it here before, but acquaintances of mine who worked under Buffoon Boris when Mayor of London, found he was a bit of a liability. His one talent is comedic.

16. emerald52

emerald52 Star commenter

The Guardian today totted up Boris’ capital spending to £940 million for his vanity projects. Just think of how that could have improved schools. On reflection don’t as it is too depressing.

Geoff Thomas likes this.
  17. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

I don't think the Mayor of London and his London Assembly pay for schools, but it could have gone on housing.

18. Duke of York

That's true. He could have bought back 94 of the council houses that Maggie flogged off.