1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Could you live off grid?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by border_walker, May 26, 2019.

1. dunnocks

dunnocks Star commenter

That sounds terrible. Are you sure you can't make the water company do something.

They tried that line on us. Turned out they had to take full responsibility for a leak under our patio less than 18 inches from our front door. They were just trying to get out of it

2. peter12171

peter12171 Star commenter

We have now managed to locate the leak...under next door. The water company are sending round one of their technicians this week to confirm, then we should be able to get something done. As it is on our neighbour’s property it is their responsibility, but the house is rented so it is a problem of locating the owner (Land Registry records are out of date!).

3. border_walker

border_walker Lead commenter

Apart from a water supply, lived for many years off grid in my youth. Then never thought of it as a hardship. I could do it now, but not sure about my wife, although she has suggested moving to a Scottish Island for a better quality of life.

4. mothorchid

mothorchid Star commenter

I think I could, though not for as long as the lady in the article. It's really a full-time thing, and it's hard work. I'd want a stove to cook on rather than an open fire - perhaps one with a hot water cistern attached.
    If there was a clean water source nearby, and some sort of way to dispose of waste I think I'd be OK.
    You could have solar panels and things too, and grow your own food. That would be fine. You could have a bike to get around on.
    I might miss some things I couldn't grow, like Marmite, so I'd need a bit of income to buy things, shoes and clothes as well, for example.
    It's quite an attractive thought, especially this morning after seeing the EU election results and my neighbours' noisy late night party yesterday.:(

5. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

No electricity? There goes every supply chain and mass starvation follows.