1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Could you live off grid?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by border_walker, May 26, 2019.

1. border_walker

border_walker Established commenter

2. ilovesooty

ilovesooty Star commenter

I couldn't . She must be tremendously resilient

3. dunnocks

dunnocks Star commenter

I think off grid is a valid choice, but off sewage system would have to controlled and limited by the government, there would be a serious public health implications if too many people chose to do it

agathamorse, needabreak and racroesus like this.
  4. dunnocks

dunnocks Star commenter

It looks lovely though. I think I could, and would enjoy it maybe for a few months every year. Not sure about full time for ever

border_walker and needabreak like this.
  5. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

I could adjust but it'd be tough at first.

But if everyone was forced into those circumstances... it'd lead to social disturbances and possibly civilisations collapse on a continent wide scale.

border_walker likes this.
  6. dunnocks

dunnocks Star commenter

I expect we could all manage without electricity if we had to.

No way would our society survive without sanitation though

7. grumbleweed

grumbleweed Lead commenter

We did when we lived in Africa. It was a very labour intensive lifestyle, having to fetch water and taking laundry to the river to wash. Certainly made me appreciate what we take for granted. But could I do it now? Not with my arthritic hip, no.

dunnocks likes this.
  8. bonxie

bonxie Senior commenter

A septic tank does the job for those of us that don't live in cities.

9. dunnocks

dunnocks Star commenter

Yes, we have one. Its still part of the system though

10. bonxie

bonxie Senior commenter

Some people's are, some aren't.

11. les25paul

les25paul Star commenter

Living off grid? Where would you plug your guitar in? :confused:

But to be more serious I don't think it would be possible for many people living in a high population density area to live off grid because of the need for sanitation, power supply and clean water. But it might be quite pleasant if you were living on a remote Scottish island with plenty of fuel for the fire (and you could always play one of those old fashioned guitars :D).

border_walker and agathamorse like this.
  12. nizebaby

nizebaby Star commenter

Surely the social disturbance etc would predate everyone being forced off grid?

needabreak and Nellyfuf2 like this.
  13. Nellyfuf2

Nellyfuf2 Occasional commenter

You can get composting toilets. And water fruit trees and composting heaps with urine. It's population density that would be the critical thing for living off grid.
    The drain contents have to go somewhere - it just gets processed away from your home, it doesn't cease to exist because we have sanitation.
    We used to live off grid for weeks at a time as kids. Our Guide leader knew how to set up a proper basic village with everything including latrine pits and an incinerator for things that really did need burning. It was like being in the army!

14. monicabilongame

monicabilongame Star commenter

15. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

As long as you can get fresh water, empty the bog in a non-polluting way, and get a new gas cylinder or a gas refill every now and again it's possible to live long term in a camper van or caravan. A solar panel and a proper type of 12v leisure battery will meet most power needs for at least 10 months of the year. Longer term users wil boost the battery bank and the amount of solar input. You can heat washing water in sunnier climes using solar shower bags. We've managed for a month abroad on an 11Kg gas cylinder and no hooking up to the mains.

For a building out in the wilds an earth closet toilet would be a simple solution, and a ready supply of wood for fuel. The main thing is fresh water.

16. unfoggingblogger

unfoggingblogger Occasional commenter

lanokia likes this.
  17. cassandramark2

cassandramark2 Established commenter

I’ve recently watched ‘The 1900 Island’, a BBC series.
    The families involved didn’t want to return to the present.

18. peter12171

peter12171 Star commenter

It could be argued that I’m half off grid anyway. There have been problems with he water supply for years (water companies’ responsibility ends much further away from the house than most people think). It looks like the problem is a leak next door, but it has meant that our supply has been very hit and miss for a long time.

19. hhhh

hhhh Lead commenter

How could we check our Insta feed and post on here though?

20. Bedlam3

Bedlam3 Lead commenter

My aunt lived "off grid" all her life until she went into a care home at a ripe old age. We never thought of it as "off grid". It was just the way she had always lived. My uncle was a farmer and the cottage they lived in was never updated or had anything done to it by the landlord in all the time they lived there. It wasn't particularly remote. They had a generator and a well. She would boil the kettle by placing it in the fire and the fire would heat the cast iron oven next to it. Their bed was in the living room to keep warm. No one ever went upstairs which I don't think as used.

magic surf bus and agathamorse like this.