1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Could you give up your nationality?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by anon3372, Jan 22, 2011.

1. Yip - my Romanian colleague is just doing it. It is a killer - the whole company have been helping her with answers and scratching their heads...

2. I can believe it.
    We have no jury duty here, as we have no juries (unless under exceptional circumstances).

3. Bethannie

Bethannie New commenter

What about retirement/pension considerations?
    Where would you want to retire? (other than somewhere like Barbados!) And will your decision affect any pension(s) you may accrue?

4. I've got Australian citizenship and subsequent passport - I plan to get a British passport when I can (three more years) - I don't have to give up my Australia citizenship to do this - I can have both... Only for ease of travelling - one of us gets to go through the EU lane and the other (me) has to go through the loooong foreigner queue...

5. Just out of interest why are you only allowed one? I've had dual citizenship from birth (australian and british), my mum took Australian citizenship, but didn't give up her British passport (I have feeling she might of lied to the Australians about this), my dad has Australian and wasn't allowed dual for years, but now is. However he hasn't because he can't be fagged to do the citizenship exam. He does though go through the EU channel at the airport and just waves his right of abode visa at them - he's yet to be challenged.
    My boyfriend's dad gave up his Irish passport as he was so sick of being interegated at the height of the troubles, he doesn't regret it but still doesn't feel any less Irish

6. I have indefinite leave to remain for the uk, and I haven't got my uk passport yet cause I'm unsure of how long I'll be here and I'm not sure I want to pay almost £800 to pledge allegiance to the queen and get a maroon passport. I would have to be in an extreme situation to renounce my Australian citizenship. Happy to have dual, but not at the expense of the great brown land

7. you don't need to give it up... there's a new 'deal' Aussies can take up British citizenship without the need to renounce their Australian ... only reason I want the maroon passport is to get through immigration at the same time as my OH...

8. Tigger1962

Tigger1962 New commenter

Not all countries allow dual citizenship - I know someone who had to give up Danish citizenship to become Swedish
    Th UK really fleeces its citizens who live abroad - it costs £150 to renew a UK passport abroad - I could not afford to renew my kids' passports so got them Swedish ones for £47 each at the local police station

9. Tafawke, you have never had to renounce your Aussie passport to gain a uk one. This isn't a new deal. I was just commenting that it would have to be a pretty high stake for me to renounce mine coat of arms. I do know you can only hold German citizenship by itself. I have a friend who has an oz, uk and USA passport. I think shed get a kiwi one also if she could....

10. Phoenixchild

Phoenixchild Occasional commenter

This is really bl oody minded of me but no I couldn't.
    I say b. minded because I moan constantly about our politics, royal family (Sorry, they don't deserve capital letters - told you I was b.minded!) prices etc.etc.etc.
    BUT I was born here. If you can ignore the damage that people have done then there are some truly beautiful parts of England. God/ Mother Nature/ Acts of scientific whatdyacall it have seen to that.
    Everything else aside though I was born British, it's in my blood andI can't and don't want to change that.
    You just have to accept my right to moan about all the bad things!xx
    [​IMG]

11. Kartoshka

Kartoshka Established commenter

I wouldn't give up British citizenship. If I needed to renounce citizenship in order to gain another country's citizenship (which is sometimes necessary, as some countries won't allow dual citizenship), I'd be fine with that, as Britain allows you to do that and then claim your British citizenship back again.

12. Yes you did, my dad was not able to take on British citizenship without giving up his Australian passport until the law changed about 3 years ago as he gained the right by being married to a British citizen and being a permanent resident. However if you were entitled to dual nationality from birth (like my brother and I) through ancestry then that was allowed.

13. Germany only allows dual citizenship if one of your immediate parents was German and the other foreign.
    My German relatives were not immediate relatives - i.e. not my parents.
    That is why I am only allowed single citizenship.
    My children have dual.

14. It doesn't have an effect on that, Beth. My pension is paid to me no matter where I retire to.

15. Yep - I have to apply via the Consulate and it is around 150. Even if I applied in the UK, they send it to the Consulate so I don't save any money.
    Kids have just the German passport at the moment as was cheaper (only cost me € 20!) They don't need to carry both passports when travelling anyway.

16. nomad

nomad Star commenter

Passport is one thing, nationality is another.
    If I was ever stripped of my passport, denied the right to live in the UK and cast out into the wilderness (or did so voluntarily), I would still consider myself to be British, whatever unfortunate state took me on as a national. Nationality, for me, is far more than residency and a passport.
    Actually, as my user name suggests, I have spent most of my working life in the Wilderness, anyway. I gave a lot of thought to taking up residence and living the rest of my life in one of the countries in which I have worked. Bali in Indonesia, for example, would do me fine. But even then (possibly without a British passport), I would still consider myself to be British even if international law considered me to not be of British nationality.

17. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

Im with Nomad on this..........internally im still pround to be British, although i believe i could live happily in another land.
    In the end the benifits of which passport you own are down to your own perceptions....which passport is better for your situstion, will the place remain stable, will it be viewed better if you travel back and forth around the place...for example if you wanted to open a bank account in Britain....or will it help you travel........eg is a britich passport seen as lessof a problem than say a a german one.Obviously lots of folks want to come to Britain as they stow away on trucks every day in Calais!..they wouldnt mind a British passport! lol

18. I can see your point, nomad.
    I think my problem is - I feel both British and German [​IMG]

19. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

In the end you hve to decide what is best for you and your situation......not what nationality you shuld be...........if you have no intent on retaining membership and your pension wil be paid from britain.albiet in a 'frozen ' state,,then what do you have to lose?....you can still legally enter britain and domicile here with your eec area membership......opening a bank account might be difficult......although im not sure if you take up german nationality if it will effect your pension payments as technically you wont be british!

20. I can't follow you, olds.
    My pension will be paid by Germany, not Britain. And I already have a British bank account, and my mother had one here in Germany, with a British passport (and I have one here with a British passport!)
    What do you mean with "frozen state"?