1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Could you give up your nationality?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by anon3372, Jan 22, 2011.

1. I STILL haven't renewed my passport and am still dithering about whether to take a German or a British one.
    I don't feel British at all anymore, but on the other hand, I do...but only because I grew up there and have always had a British passport even though I could always have had a German one (but not both - I have to choose).

2. I STILL haven't renewed my passport and am still dithering about whether to take a German or a British one.
    I don't feel British at all anymore, but on the other hand, I do...but only because I grew up there and have always had a British passport even though I could always have had a German one (but not both - I have to choose).

3. I'll bet the german passport comes far cheaper. That would decide it for me.

4. MUCH cheaper!

5. On the other hand, as a EU citizen it is totally irrelevant as to what nationality I have - except for voting.

6. Bethannie

Bethannie New commenter

I don't currently have a passport. (It's a big expense if I'm not travelling anywhere!)
    When I did, I carried a British passport. (Of my immediate family, one sibling can only have a German passport, three can only have British passports and the other three - including me - can legally have either)
    Initially my passport was British - moving around the world with my parents it was easier for us all to share a nationality! Later I considered switching to German - but never got around to it.
    I've always felt more of a 'dual' nationality than either German or British....the passport was just a 'convenience'. What passports do your children carry? Maybe you could go for the same as them?

7. A british friend of mine had to renew from spain recently. 170€. The little chip thing - what's that about? They don't do anything different, you just send the same little photo as always yet somehow they extract enough data from that to stick on the chip and charge you 170€

(Ok, so part of that is the courier service they insist on for overseas applications, but even so)

Go German. Plus I bet you'd get an ID card practically free as well.

8. My children are dual.
    I feel dual, but can only have one or the other.

9. marshypops

marshypops New commenter

I don't know CQ. Do you have a "gut" feeling about it? I am <u>English</u> and while I've lived abroad for a short spell (6 months) it wasn't long enough to enable me to help you.
    Do you need a passport at the moment?

10. catmother

catmother Star commenter

Same here,CQ. Over the years,I've thought about getting a British passport for this very reason. However,I think it's quite pricey nowadays and you have to take some stupid citenzenship exam or other.Therefore,I probably will not bother. No need really,unless UK opts out of Europe!

11. I need one to travel, as I have no German ID card.

12. Yes, that is the joke - I would have to take the citizenship exam and PAY for it (hey, I have only been here 21 years). By the time I have paid for that, I might as well just pay for a British passport!

13. marshypops

marshypops New commenter

I'd weigh up the benefits of each (ignoring the citizenship exam - unless money is an issue of course). Do you get any additional benefits by becoming a "recognised" citizen of Germany?

14. catmother

catmother Star commenter

Is there a citizenship exam in Germany too? I think there's a ceremony in the UK when one is supposed to pledge alliance to the Queen. Never going to happen!

15. marshypops

marshypops New commenter

Alliance? Makes it sound like a merger ;)

16. catmother

catmother Star commenter

Don't know about Germany but one of the great thing about not being on the full UK electoral roll( I can only vote in local and European elections) is that I'm never going to be called on jury duty. Suits me fine.

17. catmother

catmother Star commenter

Yes,looks like wrong spelling! You know what I meant.

18. marshypops

marshypops New commenter

I do, I was making a joke, I hope I didn't hurt your feelings :)

19. Only that I could vote in the national elections.