1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Could you get a mortgage on supply?

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by malty, Feb 24, 2007.

1. Just wondered if anybody had secured a mortgage even though they do temp work. I am looking for that dream perm job but wondering if it will ever happen and wanted to know if the bank would consider giving a mortage if one person hasn't got a secure job? Thanks

2. Just wondered if anybody had secured a mortgage even though they do temp work. I am looking for that dream perm job but wondering if it will ever happen and wanted to know if the bank would consider giving a mortage if one person hasn't got a secure job? Thanks

3. Yes - but I put down a massive deposit - literally five years worth of solid savings.

4. In my early 50s I got a mortgage on supply, following divorce. It was on manager's discretion, having had my previous mortgage with the company. Deposit was 5% house value, 17 year mortgage, was about 5x salary at the time.
    After 7 years it is almost totally paid off, but I combined a variety of jobs alongside supply.

5. You could do worse than finding an IFA to help get you a mortgage, our financial advisor is fantastic really... no banks would touch us, but he could get us £50k more than we were asking for if we wanted it... we have a self-certifying mortgage... great for self-employed etc. people who the banks tend to shie/shy (?) away from...

Nutty x
    www.supply.forumup.org

6. yeah i got a mortgage on supply.. it can be done..

7. how did you go about doing this?

8. jmntsp

jmntsp New commenter

Perhaps the bigger question is 'could you pay the mortgage if you didn't get any supply?'. That would be concerning me more than whether I would get one. I don't know your personal circumstances, obviously, but there are posters on here who have had literally one day's work in a term. What would you do about your mortgage if that was the case? I've had a reasonable amount of supply this year, but I can see the pitch black at the end of the dark tunnel, if you catch my drift. I have very little hope for next year. My regular schools have now appointed in-house cover supervisors. Basically, unless anyone has a major operation and is off for a term, I don't think I shall get any work. I am panicking about how we pay the mortgage if this is the case.