1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Could you do supply for the rest of your life?

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by Ostpreussen, Apr 21, 2012.

1. I could not. Have been in some fabulous academic schools, but could not do this till I am 68!
    Not for a million pounds.
    What about you? Why do you do supply?
    And could you do it for the rest of your life? Would you want to?

2. I could not. Have been in some fabulous academic schools, but could not do this till I am 68!
    Not for a million pounds.
    What about you? Why do you do supply?
    And could you do it for the rest of your life? Would you want to?

3. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Most definitely could not. I've been doing it far too long already and have found the difficulties increase year on year.
    Been somewhat 'taken out of my hands' though, as supply work has been 'dead' for me this entire academic year!

4. Mrs-Pip

Mrs-Pip New commenter

I've been on supply for 15 years and can't imagine doing anything else at the moment...rest of my life erm...probably but part-time!

5. hammie

hammie Lead commenter

i could, if i can get enough work. The pressure on classroom teachers has become intolerable as events beyond their control are ignored ot ridiculed.
    There does seem to be a move to get rid of all classroom teachers with experience, so not sure how we are supposed to work to 68 anyhow!

6. Have done since 2003. BUT, could not imagine doing it till I am 68.
    And the advent of cover supervisors and "super dupper TAs" has greatly changed the rules of play and Game Plan. Wonder how that will pan out in the future?
    Wonder if kids really want OAPs (teachers) of 68 teaching them on supply or not!!!
    I mean; even Justin Bieber will be old then..An Old Hat. An Unheard Of. Yesterday's fish n' chips paper..

7. Mrs-Pip

Mrs-Pip New commenter

Who?

8. I have been doing supply for the last year and love the freedom and flexibility I have. Money can be a bit tight but would much rather be doing day to day cover in many different school than working on a contract in one class with all the stresses that go with it! As long as i can make enough money to get by and have all my free time without worries of doing planning, writing reports, assessments etc I will be happy : ) and that means more to me than being well off and stressed out at the same time.

9. Hammie~
    There does seem to be a move to get rid of all classroom teachers with experience, so not sure how we are supposed to work to 68 anyhow!

An interesting prespective- do enlighten..

10. les25paul

les25paul Star commenter

I would if it was possible, I've been doing supply since the late 90s (most of my teaching career) and when it was plentiful the life suited me perfectly since it allowed me to work when I wanted and go off to to more interesting things as well.
    But I don't think that I will have the choice with the work becoming harder and harder to pick up each passing year.
    PS; as for carrying on to 68, I intend to be still "rocking" at that age. The kids of today have got "no go" in them and I suspect their kids will be even more "pedestrian"[​IMG]

11. I think Hammie is referring to the increase in the number of academies and free schools, and with the squeeze on school budgets, the management in some schools is trying their damned hardest to out those at the top end of the pay scale and fill the schools up with cheap, maleable NQTs. And I completely agree, having seen it happen in at least three different schools.
    Could I do supply for the rest of my working life - another 30+ years? I probably could, if I could guarantee at least two days a week. Even in the most horrendous schools I would put up with it.

12. Mrs-Pip

Mrs-Pip New commenter

I'm booked next week to work in one... it was a primary and junior school. I've never been to this particular school. Will it be any different in terms of my job or is it just a change in name? Loads seems to have changed from primary school to academy in my area.

13. For recent academy converters you shouldn't notice anything different except the name. Ask the staff what has changed. Most recent converters are keeping everything else the same for now, as they undergo the changeover and bigger changes will come in the next academic year.
    I know of two recent academy converters who are going to be using their HLTAs to teach half a timetable (12 lessons) without any extra pay, full classes, doing everything that a teacher would do, from September. Make of that what you will.
    The best way to find out what is really going on is talk to the staff, especially the support staff.

14. I have a full time job working with adults with autism and I work supply around that. I get three days off so I make myself available on those days. Personally, this suits me until I retire. I once batted around the idea of a career supply teacher 12 years ago and the reaction of teachers in "proper jobs" was that if a teacher wanted to remain on supply, then it meant they couldn't hack it in a real teaching job. I definitely don't agree with that.

15. Mrs-Pip

Mrs-Pip New commenter

Ha ha... Yeah and I have "PROPER LIFE".
    Cheers for your reply Emma.

16. I remain on supply because I want a life outside the job. I don't see why not, I have done it for over 15 years.

17. Yeah, I think a lot of the perm teachers I've worked with think that. But then they all say "oh, I couldn't do what you do". All permanent teachers should be made to do a placement in some dog-rough school for half a term. Let's see who has the thicker skin ...
    No worries Mrs P, glad to help. In fact I find that if you really want to know what is going on in a school, ask the support staff.

18. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

Supply suits me as long as there's enough work available to average three days a week, which I've managed for over two years now. It means I can have a life outside teaching but still do the basic job I trained for to pay my bills. If I can't find a part-time permanent post then realistically I face four more years of supply before my pension is sufficient for me to bail out and retire. I think I'll get by, as long as the work's still there. If not, it's time to look for other lines of work.

19. Technically, I have been a supply teacher for the last two years; in practise not, as I have not been able to get any work.

20. les25paul

les25paul Star commenter

Whilst there might be some teachers who would think that, the majority I've met hold the opposite view making comments like "it must be difficult on supply". Incidently many also ask me what it is like since they are seriously hacked off with a regular post and considering a move towards supply.