1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Could we make this the new Opinion forum please?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Treefayre2, Oct 12, 2015.

?

Can we make this forum the new Opinion?

1. Yes

11.1%
  2. No

36.1%
  3. Prefer to have an all new Opinion forum

52.8%
  1. Treefayre2

Treefayre2 Established commenter

This is disastrous.

So Opinion got the chop and we're left with a 'wet behind the ears' Personal forum frequented by members of the WI and Facebook luvvies discussing ice cream flavours, TV sitcoms and favourite dog biscuits. Then we have this place which is as lively as a pub on a Monday morning staffed by lepers.

I get the impression that any serious 'opinion' posts posted on Personal will be toppled by fluffy girly posts kissing and thumbing one another up - which won't do. Is it possible to make this the new Opinion despite the restricted title 'Education News' which is as exciting as a bout of syphilis? Or, should we ask TES for a new Opinion forum - citing the problems that we now face?

calamansi and Rhoswen77 like this.
  2. Vince_Ulam

Vince_Ulam Star commenter

You forgot to mention poo.

Rhoswen77 likes this.
  3. catmother

catmother Star commenter

What's stopping you and your friends posting on here? Nothing at all.

4. Rhoswen77

Rhoswen77 Established commenter

A pretty fair - and somewhat amusing - synopsis.

: )

5. Treefayre2

Treefayre2 Established commenter

What IS stopping me (and my friends) posting 'opinion' on here is the title of this forum: 'Education News'. I would like to discuss a much wider range of opinion, and it appears that Personal is the only place left to go - BUT, that forum is flooded with pointless threads about how cold it is today, things 'with a twist', everything you ever wanted to know about chickens, and fluffy strictly things.

calamansi and Rhoswen77 like this.
  6. Rhoswen77

They're obsessed by that. Tragic.

7. harsh-but-fair

harsh-but-fair Star commenter

The lack of friends might be a problem ... :rolleyes:

Noja, needabreak, foxtail3 and 2 others like this.
  8. Flere-Imsaho

Flere-Imsaho Star commenter

If you want to talk about stuff, post it. There aren't many posters on Personal (or here) so I'm sure you and your friends could easily push the cold weather, music and art threads off the front page if you had a lot to say. I'm sure the mods will shift anything which appears to have strayed into the wrong place.

9. catmother

catmother Star commenter

I would have thought that posters used to fighting the good fight on Opinion would not let such a small thing get in their way. Paint the walls, get a few cushions and make "Education News" yours.

smoothnewt likes this.
  10. cosmosinfrance

cosmosinfrance Star commenter

Cushions? Much too fluffy.

11. Dunteachin

Dunteachin Star commenter

What makes me laugh, is the fact that Rhoswen sneers at the very mention of Personal, but she can't stay away from the place.
    Tragic, indeed.

12. Rhoswen77

It fills me with ideas to disregard.

13. Rhoswen77

Keep up the "ditch water" posts.
    They are entertaining... if always lightweight.

14. foxtail3

foxtail3 Star commenter

The phrase 'ditch water' surely cannot be commensurate with the word 'entertaining.'

15. les25paul

les25paul Star commenter

I object to this slur about my local. It used to run a very good card game on a Monday but then the organiser threw his hand in.

16. ilovesooty

ilovesooty Star commenter

"fluffy girly posts"

Plenty of contributions on there from male posters.

Since TES has decided Opinion was more trouble than it was worth in terms of unpleasantness you're left with the option of posting your non educational opinions on Personal.

bombaysapphire likes this.
  17. sabrinakat

sabrinakat Star commenter

rainbow kitten.jpg sparkly fairy dust butterfly unicorn rainbow kitten....that's all I am saying....

Noja and silkywave like this.
  18. Ambivalence

Ambivalence New commenter

It does seem to have become preschool friendly. More Tellytubbies than Question Time.

19. sabrinakat

sabrinakat Star commenter

:(

I think people are afraid to be banned if they post any controversial opinion (controversial = someone disagrees with them). I miss the old Opinion. However, I post the rainbow unicorn kitten because it makes me laugh and with a cold/grumpiness for the next few days, I need a bit of humour (and some wine!)

best wishes

hermitcrabbe likes this.
  20. Ambivalence

Ambivalence New commenter

Like valium.

Controversial=someone disagrees with them ? Report then ban. Extraordinary. No more robust discussion. The police poster has a lot to answer for.

Get well soon.

hermitcrabbe and sabrinakat like this.