1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Could this be true?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Nellyfuf2, May 30, 2020.

1. Nellyfuf2

Nellyfuf2 Senior commenter

2. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

A bit like advertising; only half of it is effective. But which half?

3. dumpty

dumpty Star commenter

It probably has an element of truth to it as we know some people just do not get sick no matter what, whereas some do just by hearing there is a new virus in (the next) town.

Just not possible to put a figure on the percentage though.

4. chelsea2

chelsea2 Star commenter

@Nellyfuf2 I've been wondering something similar for a few days.

When children used to get a range of infectious diseases, you'd always hear of the ones that never caught it, despite close and multiple exposure.

I remember when I was 14, I and my best friend's little brother (aged 9) both got chicken pox at the same time - arguably, from the same source. My best friend and her brother's twin sister never got it, although they lived with him in a small house.

Presumably it's the same with CV - not all people living in the same house catch it even when one or two do. I hate to bring Mr C into yet another thread, but both he and his wife had it, but their little boy didn't.

Perhaps some people are immune from CV, though how you could find out without exposing them to the virus I don't know.

ETA Just read the report in more detail - so there could be a way of finding out.

Last edited: May 30, 2020
    alex_teccy and agathamorse like this.
  5. Ivartheboneless

Ivartheboneless Star commenter

I have had a slight cough for about three weeks, no fever, no loss of smell, no difficulty breathing (except for a few seconds after a coughing fit). I have no clue whatsoever therefore if I could have had it, or a slight cough!

6. Aquamarina1234

Aquamarina1234 Star commenter

My husband, our sons and one son's girlfriend all got Norovirus when they were all living here. I didnt, yet I was the one cleaning up after them.

alex_teccy likes this.
  7. Aquamarina1234

Same here, Ivartheboneless. Had the test Thursday, negative. Bloody cough's getting worse though.

8. Doitforfree

Doitforfree Star commenter

We had a terrible Christmas one year where my dad and all of both my sisters' families got a horrid stomach bug. I was just waiting for the five of us to get it but we didn't, which was a huge relief, but I always thought it was quite strange given we were all in the same house using the same bathrooms and so on. Perhaps we had encountered a similar bug before.

9. Ivartheboneless

Ivartheboneless Star commenter

There are reorts of people testing negative shortly after coming out of hospital having suffered it. Whether the tests are dodgy I don't know.

jomaimai likes this.
  10. Aquamarina1234

It did cross my mind. But MrA has no symptoms at all and I'd have thought I'd pass it on to him by now. He hasn't been out of the house for a week apart from a walk last Monday.

11. install

install Star commenter

No shocks here. It’s the survival of the fittest all over again ...

12. Nellyfuf2

I was in contact with a family member the day before they came down with the clear symptoms. I had care of the baby that came down some ten days later, clear symptomms. Fever cough.. Loss of smell funnily enough for the former victim. Then another family member was down, Fever, cough, aches etc. ( NHS worker) . I have not been ill though. In fact, because family were ill probably with the virus, I was the one that did the shopping. Here I am, keen smoker and outdoor person (vitamin D) resistant to the virus. Apparently. Or have I had such a lot of exposure to colds in my career that I have the right cells to survive?

agathamorse likes this.
  13. hhhh

hhhh Lead commenter

There's a theory teachers have better immune systems...not that I'd want to chance the truth of that! Or that post menopausal women do...or perhaps it is just luck?

agathamorse likes this.
  14. Jolly_Roger15

Jolly_Roger15 Star commenter

In the times of the Black Death and the Great Plagues, some people did not succumb, even though they lived in the same space as those that did, which is what you would expect. Some people are not susceptible to some infections; just as well as otherwise we might not be here! The presence of antibodies in the blood is a good indication that you have been exposed to the virus, it does not necessarily mean that you have acquired immunity to it.

agathamorse likes this.
  15. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

My Mum told me the smallpox vaccine didn't take with me when I was kid so it seems I was born naturally immune to it.

When I was applying for jobs a decade ago I had to state number of sick days on the form. I asked the school secretary for the details and there'd been none in the previous six years. Like many I used to go in with a cold, but that was all.

More recently I feel like I've had every bug going, including a three week flu-type thing in mid January which I'm convinced I caught from a long visit to a hospital A&E dept. It probably wasn't seasonal flu because my sister also caught it and she'd been vaccinated. When I'm eventually eligible for an antibody test it'll be interesting to see the result.

Aquamarina1234 and agathamorse like this.
  16. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

Nellyfuf2 and Jolly_Roger15 like this.
  17. alex_teccy

alex_teccy Lead commenter

The hypothesis is that numerous common colds are forms of coronavirus and that a significant percentage of the population that has already contracted those forms of coronavirus have cross-immunity to COVID-19. It's unclear to what degree these people are immune, but it might help explain why some people in certain areas react so violently to COVID-19, whereas so many others are asymptomatic. In other words, it's possible that people with cross-immunity could still catch the virus, but their reaction to it will either never present symptoms or present very mildly due to the pre-existing T cells working for them. ​

18. Nellyfuf2

Yes SOTT publishes all sorts - alternative views. but sadly, when people go on about "the science tells us" it is akin to a Medieval Pope declaring that God says this......... I'm not much of a scientist, but I do think that science brings us a range of information and examines it, explores it. The phrase should be "science might suggest and is investigating this idea.'
    And I am not sure if the Right Wing agenda is playing the virus down to kill us all or blowing it up into total population control. We live in dangerous times for all sorts of reasons.

Aquamarina1234 likes this.