1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Could this be a sign of dementia?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by oliverferret, May 1, 2011.

1. oliverferret

oliverferret New commenter

My mum has just been round to visit. Apparently my dad is regularly accusing her of having numerous affairs throughout their marriage of nearly 50+ years. She hasn't and finds his accusations very upsetting particularly as there is obviously no way of proving that she hasn't had an affair. She has found it all so distressing that she said she had worked out how she was going to kill herself. He had a troubled childhood: his mother was not married to his father and he went back and forwards between his mother and his grandmother until he was a teenager - his mum did continue (apparently) to have numerous affairs throughout his childhood. They are both in their late 70s and I am at a loss how to support my mum other than to say she is always welcome here - the suicidal thoughts also really worry me. I did wonder though whether this could be an early sign of dementia - I haven't noticed anything else but obviously I'm not living with him.

2. It could be depression, but it also could be caused by vitamin d deficiency. My dad has reasonably middle to advancing Alzheimer's, lives in oz and does go out side every day and wouldn't know what sunscreen is if you bathed him in it. But he is still low and since taking supplements, has been much brighter.

3. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

I'm no expert either, but earlier this year when my Mum started developing false memories and acting upon them, and showed one or two personality changes, we took her straight into Casualty for a check up, and a scan revealed a brain tumour. We'd initially suspected a subdural haematoma (slow brain bleed) caused by her cracking her head on a cupboard a few weeks previously, but alas it was more serious. Up to the point of diagnosis she was as fit as a fiddle.

My late step dad's brain tumour first manifested itself through a brain haemorrhage and collapse, completely out of the blue. Without sounding alarmist I'd consider seeking medical advice sooner rather than later.