1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Could the UK exist without its USA 'ally'?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by oldsomeman, Jul 13, 2019.

1. LondonCanary

LondonCanary Lead commenter

Ask the guys washing your car.

2. afterdark

afterdark Lead commenter

I didn't realise you were washing my car. But that explains a lot of your posts.

3. afterdark

afterdark Lead commenter

[​IMG]

4. afterdark

afterdark Lead commenter

There was no bogtry to excuse. What bigotry you percieved was in your own head.

5. LondonCanary

You are happy to exploit cheap labour and poor employment conditions, when it suits you.

6. afterdark

afterdark Lead commenter

I am not in the UK. But I was asking you a question and your response was to ask the guys washing my car. Ergo one might think that you are saying that you are a carwash guy. Which makes sense as posts suggest that you are certainly not a teacher.

7. afterdark

afterdark Lead commenter

Evidence?

8. LondonCanary

The brightest and best are doing professional jobs.

9. afterdark

afterdark Lead commenter

Where is your evidence the assertion that a lot of the low grade work is done by migrants who aren't the brightest and best?

10. afterdark

afterdark Lead commenter

your logic is deeply flawed. You are assuming that the brightest and best are all employed doing professional jobs. You have no evidence for this assertion.

11. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

Thank you so far for your contributions.
    I appreciate its an area in which one can become fixated on cheap labour and the use of labour from other than UK nationals.
    Would we be able to be economically able to stand away from the USA? Our dealings do seem to be one-sided with the USA but could we, in reality, stand-alone, or with ' new partners.'
    Much of our reliance I tend to feel is due to failures by consecutive governments to set us out with efficient industries which enable us to earn 'wealth' and a good reputation and not be dependent upon planes from say the USA, for example. We are more than capable of designing say a new fighter but we lack sufficient industrial capacity to make the plane due to Government 'economies'. The last one the TSR2(even today it's still admitted as being superior to some modern jets) was chopped due to government savings and some say lack of vision and political considerations. We still do not invest and develop those industries which develop income streams even if we are seemingly one of the most inventive nations of the world (although are banks do seem to lack the foresight invest in new growth areas.)
    Labour has been quoted but folks move to what they see is a better place, yet often we fail to recognise the skills such folks hold (I was talking to a guy in a workplace who was professor in digital technology, but came to the UK worked and in a shop and earnt more than in his own country, but could not get his credentials recognised due to government departments and so could not use them to apply for better work and use of his skills? I work with a young Polish Lady who runs our Cubs but in fact, is far more highly qualified than myself, but runs a scheme in which young folks in the UK are given wider experiences of our own culture.
    The migrant labour market is there but the problem might be wether are we doing good for their home nation, bearing in mind that a lot of the money earnt goes back to support relatives and villages from where they come The money is not re-invested in the UK economy directly.
    The problem I see is that independence needs not just skilled labour to design, build and work in such developments, but also the vision to build and invest in such structures and projects. If we wish to project wealth and earn we need to sell on a worldwide level and the ability to do so as we need, without the restrictions of another nation, state or country telling us what to do.
    Unfortunately, to me, it seems as if all the major Politial parties do not have that vision.
    Can we indeed reclaim independence once lost?

les25paul likes this.
  12. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

The reality is the credential of such workers are not recognised for whatever reason.

13. LondonCanary

There may be a few exceptions,
    I just hate the lazy generalization that educated/professional migrants are not good enough to do well-paid jobs and that they pick vegetables and wasjh cars. Migrant bigotry at its worst.

14. afterdark

afterdark Lead commenter

That bit comes from your head. Try reading what has actually been posted.

MAGAorMIGA likes this.
  15. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

We're giving up the EU to be a state of the USA?

16. afterdark

afterdark Lead commenter

Why is statement in response to me and not LC?

17. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

There's money to be made by some from toadying.

18. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

The Americans broke enigma when they seized machines from some ships they sank.

19. Oscillatingass

Oscillatingass Star commenter

Well at least that's the Hollywood version.

20. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

Benefits could change massively after Brexit.