1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Could the UK exist without its USA 'ally'?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by oldsomeman, Jul 13, 2019.

1. Oscillatingass

Oscillatingass Star commenter

We would have struggled against the Nazis without the intervention of Uncle Sam.

2. Oscillatingass

Gosh were any of the Battle of Britain pilots born in Britain? Than goodness for multi culturalism because without it we would be the thralls of the Nazis.

3. Oscillatingass

Just checked and according to Wikipedia there were around 2300 British pilots and 145 Polish who were the largest group of non British flying fighters in the RAF. Although the contribution of Polish and other nationalities was significant the vast majority of pilots defending Britain were in fact British.

lexus300 likes this.
  4. afterdark

afterdark Lead commenter

You are. You see something that was never written in post 6. Post 6 say we can't manage without those EU peoples who come to the UK and do the cheap manual work for us. It does not claim that is the only thing tha they can do.

Where is your condemnation of Johnson's racism?

MAGAorMIGA likes this.
  5. afterdark

afterdark Lead commenter

The US has been a rather strange bedfellow.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NORAID

NORAID or the Irish Northern Aid Committee is an Irish American organization founded after the start of the Troubles in Northern Ireland in 1969, best known for raising funds for the Provisional Irish Republican Army.

I think the current one way extradition agreementspeaks volumes about the US/UK relationship.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-16041824

UK citizens visiting the US are fingerprinted, but not visa versa.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/3595221.stm

I do not believe the current relationship between the UK and US is healthy one. If it was a healthy one, there would not have been a state visit for the 45th president of the US.

phlogiston likes this.
  6. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Oh grow up (no you are no you are) ... So keen to make excuses for bigotry when it suits you...

Oscillatingass likes this.
  7. MAGAorMIGA

MAGAorMIGA Star commenter

Bigotry? Come off it! Are you trying to deny that the British economy relies on the importation of huge numbers of cheap labourers, and that at present many of them come from Eastern Europe? If so, you're denying reality. I agree with the post which claimed that, after Brexit, the UK may be looking to other countries massively less wealthy than we are. We will do so in order to drain them of their brightest and best to make them work in the jobs no Briton wants to do. Whether British people will be happy to swap the arrival of hundreds of thousands of EU citizens with a similar number of Bangladeshis, Nigerians and Pakistanis remains to be seen. If Brexiters believe that no one will be coming because we will have "taken control of our borders" and all immigration will cease, they're living in cloud-cuckoo land.

ilovesooty likes this.
  8. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

Ukranians, according to those who import temporary farm workers and who say that Romanians (and certainly Poles) are now earning enough back home to no longer make it worthwhile going to Spain or the UK to earn money as farm labourers (Spain is apparently now recruiting Moroccans for the job once done by Romanians).

9. LondonCanary

LondonCanary Star commenter

The brightest and best don't do work no Briton wants to do.

artboyusa likes this.
  10. chelsea2

chelsea2 Star commenter

It would then appear that the support provided by richer EU nations to these poorer EU nations to bring their economic level up has succeeded. Perhaps some posters should take note.....(not directed at you, FG).

11. florian gassmann

GDP per capita in Romania is still well below the EU average, but has certainly been climbing for some years now:

upload_2019-7-14_9-9-56.png

12. Wotton

Wotton Lead commenter

My only experience of migrant workers was speaking to the person washing my car. He was from Romania, a country I have visited once. I asked him if he liked living and working in England and would he stay here. He replied that what he could earn in one month in England would take him a year in Romania.

afterdark likes this.
  13. florian gassmann

The difference has closed quite a bit in recent years. Average wage in Romania is now £7K a year, compared with £29K in the UK, but you need to remember that the cost of living in Romania is far below that of the UK.

14. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

If I thought they were just helping, I wouldn't be worried. Some of the suggestions about the nature of the future relationship (e.g. T&C about the NHS not negotiating more favourable prices for pharmaceuticals) concenr me.

We have had good relationships with Europe. They are nearer and less politically meddlesome than the US or the UK (how many countries have been invaded by the rest of Europe compared to America and the UK?)

15. Happygopolitely

Happygopolitely Established commenter

Yes - there are other powerful nations that we could cosy up to if necessary.

16. MAGAorMIGA

Which is great. In my view there needs to be a massive effort put in to raising the economies, education and healthcare provision and living standards of people in Africa, South/Central America and South Asia. If everyone can expect a decent job and a future where they are these massive migration pressures will lessen, and we will live in a much more peaceful and equal world, where migration happens only to satisfy people's thirst for knowledge and to experience other cultures, rather than out of desperate need and fear.

17. MAGAorMIGA

I hope you're right. My wife, who is a nurse, worked on a ward with a cleaner who was a fully-qualified teacher in Eastern Europe, but earned more as a cleaner here than as a teacher in eastern Europe. It was a few years ago. Hopefully EU membership has raised wages and living standards there sufficiently so that such things no longer happen.

ilovesooty likes this.
  18. artboyusa

artboyusa Star commenter

These days my opinion is that the US should never have fallen for that centuries old, tried and tested standby of British strategy, which is to get somebody else to fight their wars for them.
    Shouldn't have fallen for it in 1917; the European powers started that stupid war and should have been left to sort out their own mess. The US got nothing from WW1 except dead Americans. Shouldn't have fallen for it a second time either. If the UK and France committed to a war that they didn't really want to fight and then lost, that was not America's fault or America's problem to fix.
    And so after a lot of effort and a lot more dead Americans, the US got to be a 'global superpower'. Big deal. What a thankless, wasteful, seemingly endless burden. The natural purpose of the USA was perverted by utopian idealists like Wilson and Roosevelt and I very much hope we continue to step back and let the rest of the world run itself as best it can. America should have better things to do.

lexus300 likes this.
  19. LondonCanary

LondonCanary Star commenter

11% of people working in financial services in the City of London are migrant workers. Many are health and other professionals. A lot of low grade work that Britons won't do is done by migrants who aren't the brightest and best.

20. afterdark

afterdark Lead commenter

You got any evidence for that?