1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Could the UK exist without its USA 'ally'?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by oldsomeman, Jul 13, 2019.

1. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

Seeing how many decry our relationship withtheUSA..and I do despair at times, could we as a nation exist without them?
    I would be interested in your view, opinions and readings into the subject.
    Thank you.

2. Scintillant

Scintillant Star commenter

We managed fine for many hundreds of years.

3. dumpty

dumpty Star commenter

I don't think too many people were or are wrapped up in this special relationship but the problem is some remainers are passing hot bricks at the thought of the USA helping the economy after Brexit through a deal.

All rather hysterical and all Brexit related.

lexus300 and artboyusa like this.
  4. Stiltskin

Stiltskin Lead commenter

5. les25paul

les25paul Star commenter

This would be the same USA who's current President prides himself on the notion of "America First" I believe. o_O

Hmmmm....... Good Luck with that thought.

6. MAGAorMIGA

MAGAorMIGA Star commenter

There are countries we couldn't exist without, but America isn't one of them. I suggest countries like Poland and Romania are countries we can't do without. Without them, who's going to pick our agricultural produce, work in our hotels and restaurants, look after our old folk (and ourselves when our time comes), and generally do the hard, back-breaking, low paid jobs the British turn their nose up at. Post-Brexit, we might find it harder to recruit them, and we may have to pay them more to do it for us.

7. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Sweet jesus... I know people think like this... but to just read it so blatantly...

When did this become so acceptable...

8. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Hey, guess what... East Europeans are capable to doing anything they want... my wife is an accountant who runs a team of people... my daughter is on a graduate training programme and earning a damn sight more than I am teaching.

Disgusting!

9. burajda

burajda Star commenter

No, we just recruit from somewhere else. The commonwealth perhaps, india, Australia, Bangladesh, Nigeria for example

10. MAGAorMIGA

Keep your hair on. I'm describing reality in a global capitalist system, not excusing it. I'm sure Mexicans are capable of doing whatever they like in America and some earn huge salaries - but it is a fact that millions of undocumented Mexicans work long hours in the fields I outlined above for low pay - and America couldn't manage without them either. Don't like it? Then reform capitalism and the world we live in, rather than waxing indignant against those who point out unpalatable truths.

blue451 likes this.
  11. colpee

colpee Star commenter

That should keep him busy for a bit:cool:

EmanuelShadrack and blue451 like this.
  12. MAGAorMIGA

Well the alternative is to live with it, and not get cross when people point out that massive inequalities between countries fuels migration by creating pull factors, in addition to ones caused by wars, drought, famines etc.

13. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

Let's not forget that it was the pact we made with Poland that was ultimately the tipping point that drew Britain into WW2. I suspect WW2 was unavoidable, given Nazi ambitions, but we have to remember that the Poles stepped up to the plate when it came not only to the defence of Poland, but of Britain too.

Historians will tell you about key moments in the war that changed Britain's fortunes and they might disagree about th importance of some, but they are generally in agreeance that if the Battle of Britain had been lost at that crucial moment in time, the outcome might have been a different story.

Over 8,000 Polish airmen took part in the defence of Britain. They were among the first to down German aircraft and for their valour, many gave their lives.

This was before the Yanks turned up. I don't have any problem at all with Polish migrants finding work in Britain as a recognition for their war effort. Nor do I have any problem with our suparmarkets floging Polish food that we can't pronounce.

At least the Polish migrants never attempted to force their language, culture or habits on us like the Yanks have.

I can forgive the Polish people for having an incomprehensive language to read, but if I live to be a thousand, I shall never be able to forgive the inability of the Yanks for the abuse of the English lanuage and their arrogance in persiting with the abuse, despite leaned people pointing out the most obvious errors.

14. artboyusa

artboyusa Lead commenter

Seriously?

15. artboyusa

artboyusa Lead commenter

Gee, to think that post-Brexit (don't worry - it's never gonna happen) you might have to manage without your imported untermensch helots...nightmare prospect!

16. chelsea2

chelsea2 Star commenter

It seems crazy to fawn to the US, where we will never be an equal partner in any alliance when we already have plenty of allies on our doorstep with whom we are already on an equal footing.

Yet for some reason some people think it's a good idea to leave that alliance to toady up to a megagiant who will only ever put its own interests first.

I fear we will struggle to find a new place in the world when we leave the EU. What I don't want is to be the US's footstool.

17. chelsea2

chelsea2 Star commenter

deleted

18. LondonCanary

LondonCanary Lead commenter

Ironic post of the day.

chelsea2 and EmanuelShadrack like this.
  19. EmanuelShadrack

EmanuelShadrack Star commenter

And let's not forget the invaluable Polish contribution to breaking the Enigma. Without the Poles, Bletchley Park and all that would never have happened, and who knows how things might have ended.

20. EmanuelShadrack

EmanuelShadrack Star commenter

Yep. It's hardly an equal partnership when one is still paying a debt over 50 years later:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_the_British_national_debt#2000s

During World War II the Government was again forced to borrow heavily in order to finance war with the Axis powers. By the end of the conflict Britain's debt exceeded 200 percent of GDP, as it had done after the end of the Napoleonic Wars. As during World War I, the US again provided the major source of funds, this time via low-interest loans and also through the Lend Lease Act. Even at the end of the war Britain needed American financial assistance, and in 1945 Britain took a loan for $586 million (about £145 million at 1945 exchange rates), and in addition a further $3.7 billion line of credit (about £930m at 1945 exchange rates). The debt was to be paid off in 50 annual repayments commencing in 1950. Some of these loans were only paid off in the early 21st century. On 31 December 2006, Britain made a final payment of about $83m (£45.5m) and thereby discharged the last of its war loans from the US.

By the end of World War II Britain had amassed an immense debt of £21 billion. Much of this was held in foreign hands, with around £3.4 billion being owed overseas (mainly to creditors in the United States), a sum which represented around one third of annual GDP.

No problem with paying off a debt - that was the agreement. To turn a blind eye as to who's really in charge though is a bit naïve, I think.