1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Could the double whammy of Covid 19 and a 'hard' Brexit be the last straw for the Union?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Morninglover, Jul 8, 2020.

1. Morninglover

Morninglover Star commenter

2. peakster

peakster Star commenter

Johnson has more to promote the cause of Scottish (and Welsh) nationalism than virtually any other politician.

He's an embarrassment to us all.

3. LondonCanary

LondonCanary Star commenter

Scexit will make Brexit look straightforward..

WB, border_walker and Kandahar like this.
  4. Lakes1975

Lakes1975 New commenter

Let's hope so. If we can't make a better go of it ourselves in an independent Scotland we have no one to blame but ourselves.

Jolly_Roger15, LiamD and ajrowing like this.
  5. emerald52

emerald52 Star commenter

It’ll give Johnson a chance to drum up more support from English nationalists. Scotland and Ireland will be in the EU and England will be an economic basketcase.

6. LondonCanary

I don't think joining the EU will be simple. Switching to Euro and a controlled border will be a challenge.

7. coffeekid

coffeekid Star commenter

I'm just quietly biding my time.

8. WB

WB Lead commenter

If Scotland leave we'll have a Tory government forever.

:(

9. coffeekid

coffeekid Star commenter

Scotland has very little say in the matter of the Tory govt and the fact English people keep voting them in. If nobody in Scotland voted for the Tories the Scots still end up with a UK Tory government. If Scotland leaves it'll make very little difference.

10. burajda

burajda Star commenter

I suppose Wales then just goes back to being, legally, part of England. The Tories dont like the devolved administrations.

11. christubbs

christubbs New commenter

This is why we need an anti-tory electoral pact at the next general election. Got to get Gove and Cummings out, I imagine Rishi Sunak will be PM by the time of the next election!

12. burajda

burajda Star commenter

You needed one last election. But the LibDems and SNP decided they'd make a power grab at Labour's expense. Epic Fail for the LDs and utter defeat for the 48%.
    Yes. Rishi's stock is high, but with maybe 4 million unemployed by Christmas and tax hikes and public finance squeeze on the way, things can only get worse.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2020
    littlejackhorner likes this.
  13. hplovegame48

hplovegame48 Occasional commenter

I look forward to the day I can apply for a Scottish passport, hopefully with the EU on it.

14. LondonCanary

The EU ones will be a good few years after the first Scottish ones.

15. coffeekid

coffeekid Star commenter

I don't mind waiting.

Alice K, monicabilongame and LiamD like this.
  16. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

It would make a lot of difference to the Scots and I do not believe it will be the best for Scotland.

lexus300 likes this.
  17. Kandahar

Kandahar Star commenter

The EU will be history by the time your waiting is over.

18. coffeekid

coffeekid Star commenter

Lol. Ok.

19. coffeekid

coffeekid Star commenter

Yes, I KNOW it'll make a lot of difference to the Scots. The specific difference I'm referring to is general election results and the inevitable Tory governments the English keep voting for. Sigh.
    As for what you believe, that makes no difference either. You should be happy with the way things are in England, so just get on with your life in your new isolationist Brexit rUK and forget about Scotland. Indy polls are now at 54%.

20. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

I have Scottish ancestry and I have zero sympathy for SNP and its supporters. If they do leave the union they will be impoverished to an extent they have not experienced in generations.

Kandahar likes this.