1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Could retirees help to solve the nation?s teacher shortage?

Discussion in 'Headteachers' started by TES_Rosaline, Jul 6, 2015.

1. TES_Rosaline

TES_Rosaline Administrator Staff Member

Education secretary Nicky Morgan believes that recently retired people could be the answer to solving the teacher shortage crisis.

Ms Morgan would like to see more people go into teaching after spending most of their working life in another industry.

https://www.tes.co.uk/news/school-news/breaking-news/nicky-morgan-bring-retirees-classroom

She is not the only one who thinks that retirees could be an untapped resource to help plug gaps in key academic subjects. In an interview with TES last month, the educationalist and philosopher Baroness Warnock revealed her idea for a programme called “Teach Last”, which would bring retirees into the classroom as teachers.

https://www.tes.co.uk/news/school-news/breaking-news/how-retirees-could-soon-be-cruising-classrooms

This would allow children to benefit from people who have a wealth of experience and still have the desire to work. However, Lady Warnock thinks that professional people would not have to become a full-time member of staff but could be shared between schools.

Do you think this is a good idea? Could retirees be the key to solving the shortage of qualified teachers?

2. Ruthiesword

Ruthiesword New commenter

Another way of cheapening the profession and further weakening any union rights. Presumably they would be on a cheaper wage than their previous wage, or schools would find it difficult to pay them, and presumably they will be untrained in managing children so basically unqualified. My dad has just retired as a bus driver, I think he would make an excellent teacher as he has had children of his own and we turned out ok-ish. Add in the increasing number of people being diagnosed with Alzheimer's and I can see our education system really prospering.

3. chriszwinter1

chriszwinter1 New commenter

How does La Morgan square this with Gibb's contention that there is no recruitment crisis?

4. DaisysLot

DaisysLot Senior commenter

Never mind the children - I think the nation would benefit from all these recently retired people taking roles in politics.

Let's start with the educational secretary post and work from there.

I'm almost inspired to write to Nicky Morgan and suggest it… After all 'most' retirees have no mortgage left to pay, so savings a plenty for the country to be had on expenses…. Or is this some obscure way to given the impoverished pensioners the chance to earn cash thus removing strain from the care budget?

5. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

My dog doesn't much like children and they tend to be frightened of her as she is a staffy-mastiff cross. Ideal for those challenging schools who find teacher recruitment difficult - and she'll work for food!

Seriously - will the 'Here, I've has an idea that I haven't run by my inner monologue first before I open my ludicrous trap' brigade never tire of coming up with even more stupid ways of filling the 'teacher shortage that apparently isn't a shortage, no, no, honest, gov, you can trust me, I'm a politician'?

They've RETIRED! They didn't WANT TO WORK ANY MORE! Which bit of that are these numpties not getting?

6. lizziescat

lizziescat Star commenter

This has been/is being tried already. An acquaintance (ex policeman) was asked to return to help out with an aspect of routine policing. My father (ex DH) was asked to fill in a gap in the T/T.

Can't imagine why they both said no.

NICKY There's a reason there are vacancies.

7. lizziescat

lizziescat Star commenter

Ms Morgan will rescind her kind offer when the first retiree teacher points out to 'shiny new gimmick innovator/sucking eggs ' H oD /AH that, "I'm not wasting my time doing your CV building stuff/time wasting data input/irrelevant planning sheets etc. And I'leave tomorrow if you like."

8. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

So you are not chafing at the bit to get started again then, MM?

Best wishes

Meet Theo on line on the TES JobSeekers Forum, where she answers jobseeking and careers queries regularly each week.

9. frymeariver

frymeariver New commenter

Maybe she's a fan of New Tricks and the idea came to her watching Dennis Waterman solving crimes!

10. Dragonlady30

Dragonlady30 Star commenter

Well, don't ask me!!

After 37 years of full time chalk face duty, my life was made so uncomfortable that I took early retirement. For 4 years I did part time supply, twice on proper contracts, but I decided I'd had enough so last week I started work in a jewellery shop and I'm loving it!!

Go back? In the words of Eliza Doolittle in 'Pygmalion',

'Not bluddy likely!!!' [​IMG]

11. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

As I've said on each occasion that I've been asked if I would take on an "interim headship" - "it's finally happened, then? Hell's frozen over?"