1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Could retirees help to solve the nation?s teacher shortage?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by TES_Rosaline, Jul 6, 2015.

1. TES_Rosaline

TES_Rosaline Administrator Staff Member

Education secretary Nicky Morgan believes that recently retired people could be the answer to solving the teacher shortage crisis.

Ms Morgan would like to see more people go into teaching after spending most of their working life in another industry.

https://www.tes.co.uk/news/school-news/breaking-news/nicky-morgan-bring-retirees-classroom

She is not the only one who thinks that retirees could be an untapped resource to help plug gaps in key academic subjects. In an interview with TES last month, the educationalist and philosopher Baroness Warnock revealed her idea for a programme called “Teach Last”, which would bring retirees into the classroom as teachers.

https://www.tes.co.uk/news/school-news/breaking-news/how-retirees-could-soon-be-cruising-classrooms

This would allow children to benefit from people who have a wealth of experience and still have the desire to work. However, Lady Warnock thinks that professional people would not have to become a full-time member of staff but could be shared between schools.

Do you think this is a good idea? Could retirees be the key to solving the shortage of qualified teachers?

2. Wotton

Wotton Lead commenter

Why would a school who needs a teacher want one who is shared across other schools that would make them part time. I'm sure there are teachers who are looking for part time and can't get it.

Well I'm glad I spent all that time training and gaining experience to have someone walk into a job!

" Could retirees be the key to solving the shortage of qualified teachers?"

But they wouldn't be qualified.

Think I'll retire and say I want to be a nurse, their is a shortage of them too. Hope people don't mind being treated by me I may not be a qualified nurse but I am professional person.Better still they need GPs.....................................

Why is it the powers that be think that anyone can teach.

3. School Boy Error

School Boy Error Occasional commenter

Good luck finding a retiree who would like to work 60 hours a week (pro rata)

4. bonnie1

bonnie1 Senior commenter

I don't understand this when so many teachers say they can't get a job because they are too old when in their fifties!

5. School Boy Error

School Boy Error Occasional commenter

Maybe they're planning on paying these retirees an NQT's wage....

6. Wotton

Wotton Lead commenter

oops should be there. I'm off to write my lines. (hangs head in shame)

Or pay them a TA's wage.