1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Could my new school change their mind after giving me my contract?

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by Twinkles, Jul 22, 2015.

1. Twinkles

Twinkles New commenter

I've had two terms on supply and managed to get a one-year Maternity leave at a fabulous school that I've been to as a Supply Teacher. The job wasn't arranged through the Supply Agency, but I did see the advertisement online after having a couple of days at the school and realising that I would really like to work there.

I received my contract yesterday and then today had a call from the agency offering me a day's work at the school tomorrow so we had a chat about the future and I mentioned that my supply career was now over as I had a job there for September. The agency seemed very interested in whether I had got the job since working with them.

Now, I have heard that agencies can charge an 'introduction fee' if they arrange a job for you but this is a job I found myself but I'm worried. If the agency decide to charge the school a fee, might they decide that I am going to be too expensive and take back their job offer even if I have already signed my contract?

I may be worrying unnecessarily (certainly hope so!) but my confidence took a huge knock recently (hence leaving a job to go on supply at Easter) and I am terrified that something might still go wrong for me.

Any reassurance would be very welcome!

2. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

My first thought was that you were a bit daft telling the supply company that you had a job at the school . . . it really is no business of theirs where you are working, and as you now realise, they may well try to make the school pay an introduction fee. But the school will not want to do this and will resist this attempt.

As for whether the school might cancel your contract, I should think it unlikely. But I must just remind you and everyone else that in the first two years of any job, not just in a school, an employer can cancel your contract without you having any comeback, unless it is cancelled for an illegal reason (gender, race, etc,). A permanent job is never permanent until after this two-year period.

But going through all the hassle of re-advertising and trying to find someone else for 1st September - they are unlikely to want to face this.

Tip for all other jobseekers: If you are working in supply, and apply for a post at a school where you have worked, make it clear in your application that you saw the job advertised, NOT that you are applying due to haveing worked there on supply. Begin your application with the words I have seen your advertisement in the TES and am therefore applying for the post of X

The school can therefore quote this if the agency tries to make them pay an introductory feee - which can be several thousand pounds.

So sign and return that contract to the school, and also read all the other advice about getting things sorted for the new job:

Get yourself organised

Best wishes

Meet Theo on line on the TES JobSeekers Forum, where she answers jobseeking and careers queries regularly each week.

3. rustyfeathers

rustyfeathers Occasional commenter

Theo makes a valid point. When emailing, I always do a "please find my application for post of X as advertised on the TES website" type thing. You may have done likewise - if so, do you still have it in your outbox?

4. GLsghost

GLsghost Star commenter

The supply company can try but, TBH, I think ths is a problem for the school and agency to fight out between them and not a concern (or shoud not be) for the poster.

It is the case that an employee would not have recourse to a claim for redundancy or unfair dismissal for (e.g.) (in)capability or (mis)conduct in the first two years but would still be able to claim automatic unfair dismissal for (e.g.) whistleblowing, lawful union action or asserting statutory rights, for which there is no qualifying period (as also for discrimination).

The poster would still have recourse to a complaint of breach for contract, however, which is not dependant on length of service. The poster could claim payment in lieu of her contractual notice, which may typically two months or may be as much as a term, as I have seen in some teaching contracts.