1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Could I teach in Europe?

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by praiasefestas, Feb 13, 2018.

1. praiasefestas

praiasefestas New commenter

Hi

Have tried to send some PMs to various regular posters on this forum but for some reason, I can't. TES technicians currently looking at it, but not getting anywhere yet, so thought I'd try and post a general message.

I want to teach in Europe, preferably somewhere where I can enjoy a nice lifestyle as a single, mature woman, with a dog. Money isn't a motivator, but obviously, I have financial commitments that would need covering.

I have lived and taught in Spain recently, both as an EFL teacher in an academy and as a language assistant in a state school. Enjoyed it mostly, but got sick of the 8 month contracts and having to go back to the UK every summer to earn. However, I loved the lifestyle, speak Spanish and would consider returning to Spain on a FT contract. I have read all the threads on the forum about the positives and negatives of working in a school in Spain, but I feel I know Spain very well and on balance, would like to return.

Having said that, I'm also open to working in other countries in Europe, so wanted to outline my current experience and ask your opinion about what my chances are for this year or next. At this stage, I'd rather stay in Europe, than go further afield, mainly due to needing to get back to the UK easily for family reasons.

I'm currently working in a small international boarding school in the UK. I started in September and am a Spanish and EAL teacher. I teach all years through primary to GCSE. My PGCE, which I did in 2013/14, is MFL, however, I worked in Spain between my PGCE and starting in my current school. I also have a Trinity CertTESOL and I'd like to teach EAL, and Spanish, (though I realise this probably isn't doable in Spain, as not a native Spanish speaker). My degree was Spanish and International Development, and am really interested in teaching Global Perspectives, though don't have any experience yet. I have taught classes for all the Cambridge English exams, and some Trinity exams plus I have taught Business English and would be open to teaching Business Studies. (I'm trying to be flexible!)

Additionally, as I'm currently working as a Resident Teacher, and actually really enjoy the pastoral side of working in a boarding school, I'd also be open to working in another boarding school if I could combine it with teaching.

I'd like to know where you think would be a good place to start looking (realistically to start in 2019 as this would give me 2 academic years in an international school), although I'd be open to starting this year and what, based on my current experience, you think my chances of obtaining a post would be?

Thanks in advance!

2. tb9605

tb9605 Occasional commenter

From my limited experience of Spanish schools, I'd say you could probably get a job in one that had a high number of local (i.e. Spanish) students as there would be a need for rememdial/tefl English classes, which with your Trinity qualification, EAL and Spanish experience you would be very qualified to deliver. You might also be able to get a job in the primary section of an all through school as well.

Buena suerte!

3. sharon52

sharon52 New commenter

Why dont you look at other Spanish speaking country's.

4. praiasefestas

Thank you for your reply TB. Yes, I'd be open to working in a private school with a high number of Spanish students. Do they tend to employ native English speakers though or rather Spanish natives who are qualified to teach English?

Is anyone currently working in this type of school and if so, could you give me some more info please? Thanks!

5. praiasefestas

Thanks for replying. I want to be in Europe right now, mainly for family reasons. It is something I'd consider in the future though!

6. sunshine_desserts

sunshine_desserts New commenter

Hi Praiasefestas

I'm currently applying to international schools in Spain I'd love to hear more about your experiences - are you still unable to PM?