1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Could I pick your brains, please?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by char2505, Mar 12, 2011.

1. char2505

char2505 New commenter

Hello, I am writing an essay on numeracy teaching, and am focussing on the way some children show a difference in their strength in different types of learning - 'procedural' as in learnimg a process and beconing confident in using it, and 'conceptual' (as far as I can glean, understanding how to work things out cos they understand a concept and can think around the problem/have a deeper understanding -I guess like using and applying in this sense).
    The area I am looking at is addition, and I want to do some pupil interview to back up my essay and want to try and see what kind of learners I have. I am planning to do more contextual type questions to try and see if chn have conceptual understanding eg '1 apple is 5p, how much would 3 be?' alongside a similar more procedural question e.g. 6 +4 +5 = __.
    Then mixed up number sentences e.g 3+ ___ = 10 contrasted with 4+6= ___.
    I have 8 stickers on my reward chart how many more till I get a prize (this is at 20). cf 8+12 = ___.
    I would be so grateful if people could help by pointing out any limitations to these interviews that spring to mind that I would need to consider when using the evidence they provide, also for any additional ideas for my interviews or a better approach to get 'hard evidence' (obvioulsy alongside my longer term observations as their teacher).
    Hope this makes sense!
    Char x.