1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Could England be a bit more American ?

Discussion in 'Education news' started by JL48, Oct 14, 2019.

1. JL48

JL48 Star commenter

2. gainly

gainly Lead commenter

We already have far too many nasty American imports from McDonald's to Bonking Johnson. No more please.

3. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

Easy rhetoric, not much to argue with unless you're the current Ed Sec.
    Will anything actually change in the dark corners?

neddyfonk likes this.
  4. neddyfonk

neddyfonk Lead commenter

Gee folks, guess I am not from the land of restricted vocabulary. I do not eat weaners, cookies or jello. I am never 'sick' because I always specify what ails me. I do not need to carry a gun for protection or pay for health care.
    Anyone know what American values translates into nowadays with regards education ?

tonymars likes this.
  5. gainly

gainly Lead commenter

Another nasty American import is the TES spell check. Why can't we have an English spell check?

6. JL48

JL48 Star commenter

I just love the passion. It seems to have been (understandably) drummed out of English teachers at the moment.

7. JaquesJaquesLiverot

JaquesJaquesLiverot Established commenter

The spelling checker is in the browser, so you've configured yours incorrectly.

8. gainly

gainly Lead commenter

How can I change it?

9. moscowbore

moscowbore Lead commenter

Yes. More bleached chicken, more steroidal beef and more tasteless "beer" which will leave you sober and hungover. Thats what we need.

10. gainly

gainly Lead commenter

I've managed to change it. It's American by default and not very obvious how to change it to English.

11. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

But she's a politician, not a teacher. I bet that kid never meets the newly appointed Education Secretary.

12. JL48

JL48 Star commenter

She was an educator

13. neddyfonk

neddyfonk Lead commenter

Yes, Sulphur existed long before the illiterati called it Sulfur. Cheques obviously do not exist in the USA and they maximize the confusion by selectively swapping z for s.

14. Jolly_Roger15

Jolly_Roger15 Star commenter

My father, who had met American servicemen in Germany, at the end of War and just afterwards, had a pithy phrase to describe them, (which i daresay this site's filters will not let me type): 'Mother-f***ing sweet potatoes'.