1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

'Could do Better' - R4 series follows an FT journalist who starts training as a teacher

Discussion in 'Education news' started by FrankWolley, Oct 1, 2018.

1. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

Programme 5 - almost the end of the year - the most 'humiliating...but thrilling' year of her working life. By now she is in her 2nd school - a much less strict place than her first. Hearing the response from a class when she tells them it is her last lesson with them...brought back memories as they respond in the way classes often do!

Surprisingly most of the other more mature entrants to the profession who joined on the same scheme ('Now Teach') as Kellaway survived the year (though some apparently started smoking...I wonder what else;)) 5/47 apparently gave up - I'd have expected more, TBH.

Kelleway found the year eye opening personally as (she admits) most of her friends previously had been 'white' and 'rich' whereas many of those in the school she worked in were neither (50% FSM in one school).

Interestingly she now self-identifies as a 'teacher' and says she is proud to call herself one. Which, I guess is great. TBH I think all senior civil servants in the Education Department, and all education ministers should have to do this year too. But as programmes about schools today, I'm not sure I learned a lot (except that I wouldn't touch the first school she was in with the proverbial barge pole, as a teacher or parent...But maybe that's just me!)

thin_ice and TCSC47 like this.
  2. simonCOAL

simonCOAL Occasional commenter

Always appreciate your fairness, Frank. I was expecting more as well.

There will be several on here who will be disappointed that it wasn’t more like 30/47. Not so much for them to gloat about.

thin_ice likes this.
  3. TCSC47

TCSC47 Lead commenter

I listened to some of the fanfare on the radio when she started out on this Teach Now thing and I thought as some have commented here, -- just another person who thinks they would be able to teach because they had been to school themselves.

I heard the program today and although it was all a bit "Please Sir" ish, I thought she was reasonably honest. I am still cynical over her motives for entering teaching, but whatever they are, I hope she has communicated to the general public the challenges faced in teaching, which is one of the most demanding jobs out there. And in which case more power to her elbow.

FrankWolley likes this.
  4. TCSC47

TCSC47 Lead commenter

As an aside, I came into teaching late after 15 years in the engineering industry and I was shocked and dismayed at how poor the education industry is at looking after its workers compared to what I was used to.

5. thin_ice

thin_ice New commenter

Good post.

6. yodaami2

yodaami2 Lead commenter

My thought was; “right I’ve done no planning how can I get away with this”.
    Personally, It’s always on my back burner but no one has ever noticed I do little planning!

7. EmanuelShadrack

EmanuelShadrack Star commenter

Pretty much the only planning I did was during my PGCE. Yeah I had a rough idea each lesson, and prepared OHPs when I was ambitious, but nothing extraordinary. After all, they've got textbooks.

Anyway, these days you can replace "the dog ate my lesson plans" with "the dog crashed my hard disk". It's perfect.

yodaami2 likes this.
  8. Vince_Ulam

Vince_Ulam Star commenter

The difference being that you know your subject.

EmanuelShadrack likes this.
  9. blazer

blazer Star commenter

My experience was similar. Also my pension from industry is better than the one I got from teaching.