1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

'Could do Better' - R4 series follows an FT journalist who starts training as a teacher

Discussion in 'Education news' started by FrankWolley, Oct 1, 2018.

1. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

This might well be an interesting listen (either at 13.45 each day or on iPlayer):

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m0000m83

Lucy Kellaway charts her new start as a trainee teacher at the age of 58, moving from the comfortable life of an FT columnist to the realities of teaching in East London.

In 2016, the Financial Times’ management columnist Lucy Kellaway announced she was starting a new career as a teacher. Calling on others of a certain age to join her, she set up the Now Teach organisation to help older professionals become trainees in challenging schools. The scheme received over a thousand applications and selected just under fifty to join, including former corporate lawyers, investment bankers and senior civil servants.

This series follows Lucy and the other trainees over their first year as they encounter the ups and downs of their new life as novice teachers in inner city London.

2. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

I've heard her speak about this on the radio before and it is fascinating and she is an engaging programme maker. But it makes me wonder about where her focus really was during this year - was it on being a teacher, or was it on making programmes about LK trying to be a teacher. She is still teaching - now business studies apparently and doing a whole load of other things too. She really must be a remarkable person - so much energy. I'm hoping to hear the progs.

3. Vince_Ulam

Vince_Ulam Star commenter

agathamorse likes this.
  4. BigFrankEM

BigFrankEM Occasional commenter

Wrong message by me Apologies

DELETED

5. Vince_Ulam

Covered in the previous threads, Frank. I will add that the charity set up by Kellaway, who is still ensconced at the FT, is affiliated with Ark UK Ventures and has Teach First's former chief operational officer on its 'Shadow Board'.

Scintillant likes this.
  6. aypi

aypi Occasional commenter

What do you think of the chances are of her being treated like a "normal" teacher are?
    Perhaps when we all change schools we should tell them our former job was as a part time journalist.
    I doubt there are any head teachers stupid enough to risk bad press. She is bully proof.

7. FrankWolley

Today's installment was really about her decision and leaving the FT.

Hope to hear more about life in the school tomorrow!

8. install

install Star commenter

Sadly teaching has become incredibly ageist. Does she also know how much she would be paid by comparison too ? She is an age that is treated dreadfully in teaching. :cool:

TCSC47 and schoolsout4summer like this.
  9. gainly

gainly Occasional commenter

I suspect finances are not a worry for her.

camillagallop, TCSC47 and WJClarkson like this.
  10. Vince_Ulam

Far from it:

'Better still, about 80 fresh Now Teach recruits are signed up for next year.

[...]

Last week I invited all of them to supper at my house
    '
    FT.com, 13th July 2018.

11. FrankWolley

Well, a fairly low key start (the INSET day with the obligatory 'welcome back' speech from the HT, and (a new one on me) teachers role playing badly behaved pupils to test the new teachers' behaviour strategies. Maybe a good idea...

But also a lot that is weird - the description of the school, as a 'Gromp' (something to do with a Grammar school attitude* in a comp), with what sounds like the odd (compulsory chanting to start each lesson...something you'd expect in North Korea, but London?) and enforced silence in the corridors (like every workplace in the country...o_O).

The end looked forward to the next programme with, i seemed, a number of teachers admitting to how they had (already) broken down and cried. Not sure this will be a good advert for potential recruits to the profession job.

* I worked in a few grammars, boys, girls & co-ed. In none of them were the petty rules or approach this school had. Maybe in the 1950s, but not in the 1980s, 1990s, 2000s or 2010s.

12. Scintillant

Scintillant Star commenter

Since when was a rich person doing my job news?

In 2018 Kellaway announced that she was turning her back on maths to teach children business studies instead.

LOL.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2018
    chelsea2 likes this.
  13. FrankWolley

Today reality starts to hit, both for Kelleway and some of her colleagues (mostly high flyers from other professions) on the same teacher training programme. Some feel that young teachers "despise" them (for owning their own homes), and they report that the pupils find them "odd" because they are older than the other teachers, but aren't/don't act like the SLT! Kelleway herself finds the mental challenges (of teaching Maths) quite difficult, but says that she doesn't regret training as a teacher... (dare I say "yet" :D).

This is well worth listening to, IMHO.

TCSC47 likes this.
  14. gigaswitch1

gigaswitch1 Occasional commenter

TCSC47 and Mrsmumbles like this.
  15. Mrsmumbles

Mrsmumbles Star commenter

Oh dear. We have found the reason, methinks....

16. Mrsmumbles

Mrsmumbles Star commenter

Very entertaining, all this!

17. FrankWolley

Lucy K starts her 2nd term - having just discovered that she'd accidentally deleted all the lesson plans she'd worked on at the end of the previous term! This programme deals with the observations/mentoring she is receiving... And how this becomes more critical in this school as 'no excuses' are accepted.

She is very honest (I think) is expressing the dichotomy between her own feelings and the school expectations. She meets up with another on the same programme as she is (which she helped invent), but who is dropping out - the conversation is quite interesting...It makes me wonder if recruiting high achieving professionals from outside teaching is the right way forward.

TCSC47 likes this.
  18. patternandsurface

patternandsurface New commenter

19. FrankWolley

Or maybe backwards... I'd retired by the time I was 58!

20. EmanuelShadrack

EmanuelShadrack Star commenter

I despaired when I heard this excerpt. I mean, come on Lucy, backups, backups! You of all people should know this.

TCSC47 and FrankWolley like this.