1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

    Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

    Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

    Dismiss Notice

Could COVID-19 jeopardise my job offer?

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by hugoed, May 8, 2020.

  1. hugoed

    hugoed New commenter

    I was offered an NQT role (conditionally) 2 months ago before the pandemic changed life. I signed the offer letter and returned it (receiving a receipt confirmation email from the Headteacher). Since this pandemic has occurred, I have not heard anything from the school. Should I reach out to them and ensure my role is still secure given the uncertainty?

    If it makes any difference, the school is a new infant school expanding from EYFS and Y1 to Y2. They needed four new teachers. One of whom is obviously me. However, I recall the Headteacher saying on the interview day to candidates that she may be looking for a fifth teacher to replace a teacher who is going travelling. I am worried that I may be the fifth teacher and the COVID-19 has prevenetd the current teacher from travelling, losing my job offer.

    Do you think I should be concerned or a) is it normal to hear anything until July and b) could they just be extremely busy?
  2. Caramel2308

    Caramel2308 Occasional commenter

    It's normal not to hear at the best of times until nearer the time you are due to start. What they would have done is invited you in for all the move up days etc. However, emails will be dealt with in school even when they aren't fully operating so just email them to put your mind at rest. Even if this person now couldn't travel and you were the fifth person, it would be pretty shoddy of the school to retract your offer and take them back unless your contract was temporary and dependent on their return.
  3. hugoed

    hugoed New commenter

    Thank you for the reply.

    I think I will hold off emailing as they are probably really busy. If my offer has been rescinded, I am certain they would contact me to tell me and give me chance to find a new post (right?!?!). I think this is my anxiety flaring up due to the lockdown and lack of things to keep me occupied.

    My offer letter didn't mention anything about being temporary so fingers crossed.

    I would be interested to hear other people's input, even if it's just to settle my anxiety :p
    miriamgorrea likes this.
  4. Mr-Mathematics

    Mr-Mathematics New commenter

    An offer of employment is a legal contract, if you accept it then by law they cannot rescind the offer, will have to treat you like an employee.

    If it is a conditional offer, they can withdraw if you haven't met the conditions. For example, if the contract says subject to satisfactory reference and you didn't get a good reference they can withdraw the offer.

    If it is an unconditional offer they will have to follow the procedure for redundancy just like any other staff they have.

    In your case as long as you meet conditions and have good references you are fine.
    TheoGriff likes this.
  5. rolls

    rolls Occasional commenter

    I am guessing that the condition was passing your teaching qualification. That should be happening if you had a good first teaching practice, which I presume you did if you were offered a job. When you get your DfE number then contact the school as that is how you will meet conditions.
  6. hugoed

    hugoed New commenter

    Thank you. This is a good answer - the legalities of it all have reassured me :)

    Yes, one of the conditions was passing the PGCE. The others were just boilerplate job offer stuff (e.g. health questions, right to work in UK). Thanks for your reply.

    I'm much more calm now. Thanks guys!
  7. frustum

    frustum Star commenter

    I know of a school where they foolishly appointed new staff to replace a married couple who were going to go travelling, before they'd actually resigned. The couple then discovered they were expecting a baby, so the travel plans went on hold. The new appointments still stood, and a voluntary redundancy was offered (fortunately a near-to-retirement teacher was happy to take that).

Share This Page