1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Could anyone help with some information for a cache assignment? Please.

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by katiekatie, Apr 26, 2009.

1. My daughter is studying for the cache diploma in childcare and education and has an assignment due in tomorrow. She's left some of it to the last minute and now isn't clear what to do and its too late to ask at college. The bit she's struggling with is 'describe initiatives which influence the provision of challenging environments for children'. Can anyone suggest any initiatives and where on the internet she could get some information? She was going to write about what happens in the foundation stage on her placement but we think she needs to refer to national initiatives, which is where shes stuck.
    She'd be very grateful for any help (so would I, I'd be 'helpful mum' rather than 'nagging mum'.) She has turned down 2 party invites this weekend to finish her assignment so I'm feeling like I want to support her. Its Unit 4, E6/C1 if anyone has done the diploma.
    ps She also has to write a care plan for a day's care for a one year and a 3 year old. Her only placement has been in a school where they don't have daily care plans. If there's anyone who has an example/pro forma of a care plan that would be useful too. At the moment she has written a timetable of activities, including lunchtime, and the aims of the activities, which she thinks will be ok, but maybe a care plan includes other things??

2. My daughter is studying for the cache diploma in childcare and education and has an assignment due in tomorrow. She's left some of it to the last minute and now isn't clear what to do and its too late to ask at college. The bit she's struggling with is 'describe initiatives which influence the provision of challenging environments for children'. Can anyone suggest any initiatives and where on the internet she could get some information? She was going to write about what happens in the foundation stage on her placement but we think she needs to refer to national initiatives, which is where shes stuck.
    She'd be very grateful for any help (so would I, I'd be 'helpful mum' rather than 'nagging mum'.) She has turned down 2 party invites this weekend to finish her assignment so I'm feeling like I want to support her. Its Unit 4, E6/C1 if anyone has done the diploma.
    ps She also has to write a care plan for a day's care for a one year and a 3 year old. Her only placement has been in a school where they don't have daily care plans. If there's anyone who has an example/pro forma of a care plan that would be useful too. At the moment she has written a timetable of activities, including lunchtime, and the aims of the activities, which she thinks will be ok, but maybe a care plan includes other things??

3. This is a bit 'top of my head' stuff but hopefully will point you in the right direction. Firstly have you checked the cache web site? Look up the relevant unit in the handbook and check the marking criteria (make sure you have the right year cohort as it changes every year, you need to use the year for the start of the course). The marking criteria will often have some example of initiatives.
    Other than that the only ones I can think of are the EPPE project and the new 'forest schools' which I think started in Sweden??? They have introduced a more risk taking culture into early years.
    Hope it is a start anyway. Sorry no help on the care plan... not my area.

4. I am currently in my 2nd year of this course and completed this assignment last year. I too found it to be a bit of a struggle. Initiatives such as Forest Schools, Swedish Schools are a good point to discuss about in E6 and extend this into C1 by explaining how they contribute to an enabling environment for children. Discuss the effects it has on children's development, emotionally, physically.

Hope this helps.

5. cinderella1

cinderella1 New commenter

Hi I would suggest looking at the EYFS also for referring to initiatives for influencing a challanging environment, and if you go to the DFS website there will be other materials relating to the EY Foundation Stage.
    Has she got any books, I cannot remember the name of the one that most have on the reading list but this will have an example of a care plan within it. most of the course seems to be taaught from this book.
    I expect you have but the careplan should also include nappy changes, drinks and snacks, sleep as well as the activities

6. Thanks for your help everyone. I've had a look at the forest schools website. wow, I didn't realise such things were going on. We have the cache stuff from her college but its a bit vague (as is my daughter re: what she has studied so far in college).
    She told me that there wasn't much in her textbooks (she has 3) to help but I've just checked, prompted by your posts, and there's a whole chapter on unit 4! It doesn't actually answer the questions but it makes it clearer to me. When I originally posted I thought she was just looking for a starting point but it seems she's got those and just doesn't want to put in the effort to do anything with them.
    Arrrggggg!! teenage daughters!!!!! (but thats another topic - why am I trying to cook a dinner, get school uniforms washed and ironed, do my planning and help my daughter, while she wanders round the house saying she'll get back to her assignment ' in a minute')

7. Another question before I leave my daughter to get on on her own - Would the EYFS as a whole be classed as an initiative ie. would it be relevant to quote bits of that and say how its influenced provision?

8. The EYFS is a statutory framework for early years setings. In the EYFS guidance under Enabling Envrionments - there is a great amount of information on the indoor and outdoor environment. The challenges and dilemmas of this practise. Might be useful to discuss the provision of this practise.