1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

could a ta become a senco

Discussion in 'Special educational needs' started by luckyduck2, Aug 23, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Does this also apply to Asst SENCOs?

2. If you are not a teacher the correct term should probably be 'assistant to the SENCo'. A much more accurate description I would think.

MarieAnn18 likes this.
  3. Post 18

Do you have a degree? You can't possibly become a teacher without one. If you want to further your career without the studying then you should try for the HLTA status.

I am a TA but agree that only experienced teachers should be SENCO. Non teachers simply cannot demand the respect otherwise.

4. Correct me if I am wrong but I thought you had to earn respect,not demand it!

5. I am currently a Level 3 TA, but doing the job of Asst SENCO as ours is on long term sick leave. I am well respected by most of our teaching staff, and all of our SLT, and indeed by the students. Obviously there will always be a minority who see me as 'just a TA' but I believe that if you put in the work you earn the respect. And I can do the job just as well as anyone with QTS.

6. In private nursery education and playgroups which follow CGFS there are generally no teachers and they all have SENCOs.

7. gingerchicken

gingerchicken New commenter

A TA can only progress to SENCo if you have a degree, a PGCE and National SENCo award - you cannot become SENCO from a TA.

MarieAnn18 likes this.
  8. gingerchicken

gingerchicken New commenter

You cannot become a SENCO from a TA role without becoming a qualified teacher and gaining the National SENCo Award. All state run schools require this. The role of TA is vastly different from the role of SENCo.

MarieAnn18 likes this.
  9. TES_Rosaline

TES_Rosaline Administrator Staff Member

This thread has been locked.

Bumping up historic content can be confusing for forum members to follow the topic and can divert attention from new and current discussions and queries.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.