1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Could a reality TV programme help make a difference to the school funding crisis?

Discussion in 'Education news' started by TES_Rosaline, Nov 15, 2018.

1. TES_Rosaline

TES_Rosaline Administrator Staff Member

2. blazer

blazer Star commenter

No it won't. It's an Academy and ergo then it must be super duper. If they can show that taking away everyone's TLRs doesn't make a difference then it will show the opposite. That schools are overfunded.

thekillers1 and JohnJCazorla like this.
  3. meggyd

meggyd Star commenter

School? Please! I switched off after I saw the scene in which the person with responsibility for attendance - might have been SLT who knows- offered the kids a lollipop for improved attendance. Eyeroll and cringe. Bet that made a difference!

4. blazer

blazer Star commenter

Must have been SLT because he was still 2 years away from his voice breaking!

Shedman, thekillers1 and yodaami2 like this.
  5. Marshall

Marshall Star commenter

The lollipop comment made me cringe and yell out loud.
    That said there were a lot of good points in the programme.

6. JohnJCazorla

JohnJCazorla Star commenter

Can any TV programme make a difference? Especially now, when a tweet from The Donald can have the world in palpitations but any number of films/episodes on climate change are just shrugged off as alarmist.

All examples of TV having an effect are very old.
    • Cathy come home
      at least people heard of poverty and homelessness from it, don't know if that translated to action though.
    • Vietnam war coverage
      Certainly swung public opinion against the war
    • Moon landings
      Made science seem cool, only briefly because a nerd in a lab coat is still a nerd.;)
    • War of the Worlds (on radio)
      Made a load of paranoid americans even more paranoid. Nothing changed though.

7. Summerhols6

Summerhols6 Occasional commenter

I'll be honest with you, my school is like a parody of some tv sketch that depicts school in a bad light. Poor staff morale, HT who doesn't listen to anyone apart from his enclave of chosen disciples, mass staff exodus. No more to say apart from the Government knows, it just doesn't care as austerity means rescuing the Banks, that caused the problems in the first place. Education is a hostage to this and Education, Health Care etc will suffer for decades because the very rich look after the very rich. It really is that simple you know.

Jamvic likes this.
  8. Shedman

Shedman Star commenter

I don't think the lollipops made a difference but the £100 in the attendance prize draw did!