1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Costa Concordia

Discussion in 'Personal' started by blazer, Jan 24, 2012.

1. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

Were you actually there, Theo? You have so much graphic detail in your account.

2. Made me laugh :)

Black humour always makes me chuckle. As it has done for many since time immemorial. It's a coping mechanism for the bleak aspects of life. Long may it continue.

FWIW I think the original joke was pretty tame considering some of the sick ones which do the rounds these days! Ease up, folks.

3. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

http://internacional.elpais.com/internacional/2012/01/14/actualidad/1326560283_030306.html
    Best wishes
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Seminars. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    I shall be doing the Win That Teaching Job seminar on Saturday February 25th
    www.tesweekendworkshop87.eventbrite.com

4. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

I can never understand why arguments have to be mutually exclusive (polarised) - why can't both sides of a debate be right in part? I get tired of black and white discussions where attacks and counter attacks force peoples backs against the wall. (One of the reasons I do not fair well on Opinion.) But shades of grey, it seems, are never quite as interesting to the majority.
    The jokes (on here) are offensive (when viewed through a particular lens) . . . .there's no doubt about that . . . . .but to many they are also funny, and funny for a variety of reasons. But people who think that the jokes come from the minds of those who fail to feel compassion are wrong. Likewise, if I was to accuse Theo, Baubs and others of lacking a sense of humour, I would be wrong.
    So depending on how you look at it we are all partly right about some aspects of this issue, and all partly wrong too. Arrogance comes when you believe your stance is the only correct one.

5. Good post, kibosh.
    Humour is and always will be subjective. However, I know if I (or anybody else) went onto the bereavement thread and posted a few "jokey" one liners exactly what the response would be.
    I do feel though, that if upset is caused by the jokes, then the joker should have the decency to at least offer a bit of an apology rather than deliberately continue with the smart **** comments.

6. There is a toy puzzle on sale based on "how many titanic passengers can you reach with your life boat". I know it wa a hundred years ago, but I was quite angry to find this in a cataogue, and in a shop, when Christmas shopping. I did say so to the manager.

7. slippeddisc

slippeddisc New commenter

Those that are joking about a disaster that has taken lives need to think about how it would feel should it be their closest friend or their son, daughter, mum, dad, sister or brother that were dead or missing. Perhaps even for a second think about this. You would never see that person again, never talk to them on the phone or have them there for birthdays or Christmas.
    Utterly deplorable behaviour.
    Thank you to Theogriff and others who have kept a level head and have shown that people who have compassion DO still exist, otherwise I would worry all the more about where society has gone wrong.

They hide behind those smart **** comments and hopefully deep down they know they made a mistake.

8. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

Much finger wagging all round then, tsk tsk.

9. lurk_much

lurk_much Occasional commenter

I don't like the way the pious believe the prosaic have no compassion. It is such a basic mistake. I think it actually makes the pious into much less generous people than they would like to think they are.
    By their judgement I do judge them and I find them wanting.

(i wanted to wag a finger too)

10. lurk_much

I like that sort of prose but I also enjoy fantasy, chick lit, vampire **** and awards ceremony tears. Then again the spare and concise ala Truman Capote and Cormac McCarthy is more moving. But I have to deploy another decade of reading age to make the most of it. I expect Theo's original text was aimed at a broader demographic.
    I am getting more gushy as I get older, the fall of the Berlin Wall, I remember feeling quite moved. Nowadays the Secret Millionaire almost pushes the buttons.
    [​IMG]
    Perhaps we should ask florapost to grade it?

11. That last bit is very worrying lurk. [​IMG]
    I agree...there IS a place for sentimentality....I have a soft heart and do cry quite easily. I am moved by lots of things....but that piece wasn't one of them.

12. lurk_much

It was entertainment and easily as inappropriate as a play on words.
    Luckily I am tough enough to appreciate both.

13. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

[​IMG] I must be the first poster in TES history to have done this. Do I win anything?
    Earlier on today I felt everyone on the thread was moving towards a middle ground of sorts . . . . until someone came on and splashed around yet another liberal dose of condemnations . . . .
    I am referring back to Dooms earlier comments about Lady Diana. And someone did mention being in buckets of tears at the article that Theo quoted.
    What are you suggesting? That one crass, insensitive joke taints the whole character of a person? Is it not possible for a person to be dignified, self restrained, compassionate etc., AND have an insensitive sense of humour at times? Does this mean that all the people on this thread who have voiced disapproval (of the thread and opening jokes) are sensitive, compassionate, dignified, self-restrained and entirely empathetic at all times in life (in thought and in deed)?
    Anyway, I'm away off to watch some Frankie Boyle (btw, ex Teacher and ex care worker) for some tips.

14. smoothnewt

smoothnewt Star commenter

I'll refer you back to my last post, 78, as to be honest I think I made my point quite clearly in it.
    No, I don't suppose they are. They may, however, have a more finely-tuned abilty to read a situation and react accordingly.

15. doomzebra

doomzebra Occasional commenter

Or they may have the inability to see that alternative ways of reacting to events may also be valid

16. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

This entire thread is testament to the opposite being true.