1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Costa Concordia

Discussion in 'Personal' started by blazer, Jan 24, 2012.

1. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

And the same applies to all the films and tv dramas, like Band of Brothers and Pacific, which were never created primarily for humourous intent, but still the humour is there.
    Same on the ambulances.
    Same on the hospital wards
    Same on the lifeboats
    Same in the homeless shelters
    Same down the dole office
    Same in the schools (and if it's not, you got a problem)

2. smoothnewt

smoothnewt Star commenter

I wonder whether, if a ferry had overturned in the port of Dover, and, like Concordia, people were still missing and the seaches still underway, someone would have posted a similar joke on here. Somehow I doubt it.
    An overturned ship in a faraway land with a comedy captain seems to be fair game for some on here, though.

3. Paedophile on the loose...two kids go missing....bring on the jokes.

Have you heard the one about the two Jews in the gas chamber?

There is a point in time when one holds their hands up and says "Judging by the responses, I'm sorry ,it was a bit tasteless."

4. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

Life is a tragedy when seen in
    close-up, but a comedy in long-shot.

5. sparklepig2002

sparklepig2002 Star commenter

[​IMG]
    my thoughts are with all those poor people and their families.

6. But with a throw away line on the internet who is to know whether it is a close up or a long shot? Surely it is best to err on the side of caution ..unless, of course, you set out to be arrogant and insensitive.

7. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

The humour has mostly, if not entirely, been in the word play, not the subject matter. I don't think anyone here has done otherwise. Sparklepigs unintended play on words was one of the funniest (and Dooms response). Should we not laugh because the context is serious?

8. doomzebra

doomzebra Occasional commenter

Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh. [George Bernard Shaw]

9. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

However tempting it may be to jump on to the thread bandwagon, none, not one, of the joke posters was in any way suffering from the stress of the Costa Concordia tragedy that made it necessary or even advisable, yet alone acceptable, to use "Gallows humour" in order to relieve it.
    That excuse just won't wash.
    The jokes were in extremely poor taste, showed great insensitivity, and the subsequent attempts of self-justification have just served to consolidate that first impression.
    You may consider me old-fashioned, a fuddy-duddy, or whatever negative term you care to use. I consider myself one of moral principles here.
    Although you may well not, but that is your loss, and society's.
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Seminars. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    I shall be doing the Win That Teaching Job seminar on Saturday February 25th
    www.tesweekendworkshop87.eventbrite.com

10. doomzebra

Not all of the joke posters tried to use the stress-relief 'excuse'.
    How is my possible view of you (be it right or wrong) in any way a loss to me?

11. And yet the "humour " has been exclusively under the subject of a RECENT maritime disaster resulting in the loss of lives.
    At least the OP has had the grace not to try and excuse his crass posts, unlike others.

12. lurk_much

lurk_much Occasional commenter

'can you put it on one side for me?'
    It is quite apposite phrasing, the sort of happenstance that real life excels at. In twenty years time it will elicit a groan, a frown and a smile. Insensitive now, a classic in waiting. The world is too big and grim to manage constant courtesy to every tragic event. Processing a disaster requires an alternative view else it is
    personal, it can't be helped and distracting yourself from the detail is
    natural.

It doesn't offend me. Sorry Theo thanks Blazer.

13. smoothnewt

smoothnewt Star commenter

I don't recall any such jokes about the Herald of Free Enterprise, either at the time or since.
    Funny, that.

14. lurk_much

there were some, and piper alpha. I didn't laugh at those either. Need Another Seven Astronauts springs to mind. I know the name of the teacher on board without bothering to look it up. It was a shocking waste. (My partner was doing her PGCE.) They are not funny though are they? It is a distancing mechanism.

15. Of course it is.
    I went on a school trip just after 'The Herald' went over. The captain made sure to announce on the tannoy that 'the bow doors are closed'.
    Cue much nervous laughter.

I have no time for the hand-wringers. That's not to say I am not horrified by the events.
    Perspective is needed here.
    Do Theo et al wring their hands for every motorway crash etc.
    I can't help thinking there is a sense of po faced self-aggrandisment. ie look at me! I can 'emote' more than you.

16. doomzebra

Whereas I do - funny that

17. doomzebra

18. blazer

blazer Star commenter

Did you live under a rock! Jokes were circulating the next day!

19. One of my colleagues seen to 'find' jokes, like those on here, about disasters etc. so I suppose they are "out there" more than I realised.
    I remember after 9/11 that there were lots and lots of jokes doing the rounds, some people just find them funny and others don't. I was working as PA to the CeO of a 'famous' company at the time and a colleague decided to put some white powder into a letter for me to open (do you remember the anthrax scare at the time?). It backfired a bit because I was very shaken by the whole thing and they got a bo**ocking for it.
    Don't think we can stop the jokes being out there.

20. lurk_much

To quote an old bag.
    Out of strife may we bring harmony.