1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Costa Concordia

Discussion in 'Personal' started by blazer, Jan 24, 2012.

1. blazer

blazer Star commenter

A guy rings up a model shop and asks if they havea model of the Costa Concordia. The guy in the shops says that they have just one left. So the guy on the phone says..........'can you put it on one side for me'?

2. blazer

blazer Star commenter

A guy rings up a model shop and asks if they havea model of the Costa Concordia. The guy in the shops says that they have just one left. So the guy on the phone says..........'can you put it on one side for me'?

3. doomzebra

doomzebra Occasional commenter

I entered a raffle to win a Mediterranean cruise - last week's was a rollover

4. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

The owners of the Costa Concordia phoned my bakery the other day requesting a cake for a ceremony they are holding soon - it was for an Upside Down Cake

5. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

I believe that 15 is now the number of dead bodies actually found. There are at least that many people still missing.
    Just to put this thread into context.
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Seminars. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    I shall be doing the Win That Teaching Job seminar on Saturday February 25th
    www.tesweekendworkshop87.eventbrite.com

6. doomzebra

Fully aware of the context, but thanks for that contribution Theo

7. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

So I assume that you now regret your earlier post on this thread, DoomZebra.
    Job Application Seminars. We look at application letters, executive
    summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really
    appreciate.
    I shall be doing the Win That Teaching Job seminar on Saturday February 25th
    www.tesweekendworkshop87.eventbrite.com

8. harsh-but-fair

harsh-but-fair Lead commenter

Naughty Doom, see teacher after class.

9. doomzebra

Nope

10. doomzebra

Nor do I regret telling jokes about:
    The Titanic
    The Hindenburg
    World War 2
    The Kobe earthquake in the 90s
    The Space Shuttle
    Any joke that begins "So this guy approaches the Pearly Gates . . ."

11. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

Harry Redknapp's just played the Costa Concordia defence - he says he tripped into the bank in Monaco.

12. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Just sitting in tears after reading this story.
    Thank you so much for drawing our attention to the plight of this grieving family and paying honour to someone who " loved everyone, and everyone loved him." and writing such a beautiful epitaph.
    RIP Guillermo Gual Buades.
    God bless his family in their grief.
    We also remember otheres who have lost relatives in that disaster.

13. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

I've never thought sick jokes were anything other than sick.

14. I'm afraid I'm with Theo Griff on this one. The only joke here that works is the one about Harry Redknapp. It plays on the captain's statement that he 'fell into' a lifeboat - an odd thing to say in itself - rather than the actual boat tipping over. That joke is quite funny. The boat tipping over ones don't work for me because it was that action which resulted in fatalities. The upside down cake one would never work because the boat isn't upside down, its lying on its side. (Pedant's corner I know, but there we are).
    As for it just being a question of 'too soon', similar jokes about the Titanic are off-limits for me and the 100-year anniversary is coming up in April.

15. doomzebra

Indeed - "almost certainly" - as I did not lose a friend, nor have I lost a friend in such cirumstances, it would be stupid of me to be dogmatic about exactly what I would do.

16. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

True. But they make many people laugh. Humour, as we know, is one of the methods people (often sensitive, caring people in the caring professions) use to cope with the horrors of life. Life is horrific.
    Theos post was dramatic and emotive, but he neglected to tell us about all the others; the millions of people every day who have equally horrific tales of pain and struggle, loss and tragedy. In the face of it, this boat disaster is fairly minor, though not insignificant.
    If you spend just one day a week (on top of your normal existence) focussing solely on the enormity (and variety) of human pain, torture and suffering then you will either
    • not/stop care/ing
    • crumble and reach for the happy pills
    • crack jokes
    • drink your way out of the misery
    • f.uck your way out of the misery
    • get religion
    • end it all

17. doomzebra

The jokes told at the start of this thread were about the situation, not the deaths - the wordplay would have been equally as valid had every soul on board survived. As such, the humour was separated from the loss of life. Had the jokes been aimed solely at drowned victims then I agree they would have been unacceptable
    It would be extremely diffocult to imagine any humour that can be utterly divorced from any tragedy, but making that separationmakes humour possible - would Dad's Army or Hogan's Heroes or M*A*S*H have been made if we needed to keep the casualities of war in the forefront of our minds?The situation formed a frame for the humour, not the target.

PS - good post Kibosh

18. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

It was.

19. sparkleghirl

sparkleghirl Star commenter

If I'd lost someone on that boat, I can't imagine that reading this thread would make me feel even worse than I already did.

20. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

I agree with kibosh - dark humour can be a useful coping mechanism in distressing situations.