1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Cost of NHS Dental Treatment v Private

Discussion in 'Health and wellbeing' started by Mrs Mo, Jun 29, 2011.

1. I broke my tooth the other day and my dentist (NHS) says I need a crown. The cost of this treatment is £204. I was staggered by this. I travel a long way to my dentist (an hour's drive each way); this is a legacy of being an army wife I'm afraid - our last move around 6 years ago left me unable to find an NHS dentist so I stayed with our existing one despite the distance.
    I was wondering if staying with an NHS dentist so far away is actually now a false economy- perhaps I'd be better going with a private dentist who is local? Does anyone know roughly how much a crown would cost privately?

2. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

It could be £350 or £400 quite easily. Stay NHS if you like the dentist. Phone the dentist for a quote. They are very expensive in my experience.

3. rosievoice

rosievoice Star commenter

£204 is cheap! If you like and trust your dentist, then do not move. I travel a vast distance to visit my dentist, and will be sad the day he retires!

4. moonpenny

moonpenny New commenter

I would also say stay with the NHS one.
    BTW: I pay 9.95 a month with Tescos dental insurance and can claim 100% of NHS costs back - still have to pay for the hygenist but it has been well worth it. I used to have private cover but the terms and conditions changed drastically and meant it wasn't such a good deal.

5. Once you reach A Certain Age, no matter how well you've looked after your teeth, they will likely start needing more expensive treatment. There aren't any NHS dentists left round here (when one opened recently there were literally queues around the block at 9 a.m.) so I pay about £18 a month to Denplan and that has so far covered everything - crowns, root canal treatment, replacement fillings and two check-ups a year, lab fees not included. There's a discount for other members of your family.
    But I agree with the others who said if you've found a dentist you're comfortable with, probably best to hang onto him!

6. katycustard

katycustard New commenter

My daughter and son-in-law are both dentists. They told me that £204 is the maximum for any treatment on the NHS and a crown will cost between £400-700 privately. A crown is one thing that NHS dentists don't make a profit on.

7. Thanks for all your replies. It looks like my NHS dentist is actually good value!
    Thanks again.