1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Cost of Living in Reunion Island DOM TOM s

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by sm1379, Feb 28, 2020.

1. sm1379

sm1379 New commenter

Hello,
    Has anyone had any experience in Reunion Island/Ile de Réunion in the Indian Ocean?
    I have mean matched to a job at an international school there but the pay starts from €14000, which seems a bit low, as I heard the cost of living in the French islands is normally higher than the mainland.

Any thoughts? I'm as Scottish probationer, so I don't expect a huge international salary, but would that be enough to live on?

2. mermy

mermy Occasional commenter

Duraz likes this.
  3. kpjf

kpjf Occasional commenter

Is this salary a joke / mistake? When you say starts from what have you been offered? Consider that €14,000 is €1,166 per month. That wouldn't even be good in mainland France and I know island life is quite expensive. Furthermore, from Scotland to Réunion would be a pretty expensive plane ticket!

4. Duraz

Duraz New commenter

The salary is definitely very low, however, if it includes housing, insurance and annual flights home, it could be worth considering for a couple of years. If you would enjoy a simple island life-style that is.

mermy likes this.
  5. kpjf

kpjf Occasional commenter

'If' being the key word :D

I just thought, perhaps it's a teaching assistant role and thus the salary reflects that.

6. mermy

mermy Occasional commenter

Agree. But if it does, it sounds like the beginning of a great adventure in paradise.

kpjf likes this.